RRBBO _BLACK RAT (Huffinator)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not quit as vintage as the rest here, but this Huffy frame should work with the right parts. My inspiration is an old pickup with fat fenders and a sage green primer job. I will post a pick if I can find it again.
DSCF3286.jpg

Inspiration

Here will be the inspiration to the buildoff for me. A classy looking pickup with a little rat in it.

inspirationratrod.jpg

Fork Fab

Need slightly longer forks so did the easy method of cutting two forks, slipping together and bolting. The build direction has changed for my bike and will no longer be inspired by the pickup (leave the pic because it is a cool truck.)

Picture002.jpg

Sissybar modification

Needed a taller sissy bar, so I found a chrome rod in the wife's closet. Flatten and drilled hole for axle and bolt to existing sissybar.

before

DSCF3389.jpg

after

DSCF3394.jpg

First Ride

Took my first ride tonight, first impression--COLD!!! The turning is a little funny as the forks are modified-probably too much rake. Now it is time to take apart, sand and prep, then wait until March when it warms up.

I tore apart the bike, burned off the decals, and started sanding the frame/forks. I am looking for some custom decals for the chainguard. Looking to model the font from a krate. Does anybody have ideas? I emailed Pete at Hyper-formance but I think he thought it was blasphemy.

Hooch, just saw that on your other post. I think he may be a member at the schwinn site. I will look there. Thanks for the leg work.

If you want to cut up a stingray decal let me know. I also have the darts and the top tube decals. LMK thnks

Headlight

Bought a couple lights from ebay. Used the LED light trick from another post and works well. I took the original glass lense out and replaced with some clear plastic sheet. It flexes enough so I dont have to unscrew to turn off and on.

DSCF3451.jpg

DSCF3452.jpg

Taillights

Got the taillights completed tonight. Had some old light that I converted to led. Picked up a preassembled flashing led from Radio Shack. Cut of the flashing led and put 2 red LED's on to the battery pack.
Here is the LED module price is right $3.69
parts-

DSCF3475.jpg

mounted and very bright

DSCF3479.jpg

Ha Ha....man...so cool!

Now if you could just add a brake light sensor to the coaster brake so that they come on when you slam on the brakes!

Nice work.

Couldn't find a great headbadge so I decided to at least make the bike functional. Looks a little rough in the pic, but I just sanded and applied another coat of the epoxy putty. I hope it holds under pressure.

DSCF3484.jpg

Sprocket and crank choices.

Cant' decide yet. The bike is going be a little krate like so maybe the mag/chrome. Will probably install both and then decide.

DSCF3495.jpg

Latest posts

Back