RRBBO - Walmart mountain bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to join in the fun but I don't have a spare 50 year old cruiser to rod, so I am using a frame I found on the side of the road. I have most of the parts in my stash, let's see what happens!

P1010068.jpg

Walmart rodding

OK, I am not going to use this frame as is, so I am doing something I have always wanted to, flip the frame.

P1010071.jpg

CRANKS!

Well we need cranks and we have a pile of BMX frames....

P1010073.jpg

The neat thing is the seat tube of the BMX frame fits in the seat tube of the mountainbike, a little cutting and grinding and we get,

P1010075.jpg

So far so good.

well i'll be dipped!!

man that is the craziest idear' i and my kid are freaki n awe struck cool man keep goin!!

Great idea on the frame flip, and it gives the bike a totally different look, that's for sure.

One thing you probably want to check is whether you will run into any issues with the brake caliper when the wheel is turning in the opposite direction.

Normally the wheel movement would push the brake caliper towards the bike when the pads tighten up against the wheel, but with it being turned upside down and the wheel now rotating in the opposite direction, it will be pusing the caliper away from the frame.

So you probably want to test it before you go too fast on it - just in case the caliper is not as strong being pushed in that direction.

brake advice

Thank you for the advice, I didn't think of that at all.

Truthfully I don't see this bike getting used all that much, maybe pub crawls and Burningman, both slow easy cruises.

I will check on the brakes before I take the bike down a big hill.

If I use a 26" wheel on the front I can use those brakes instead.

OOO

Or mount it on the other side...

MMMMM...pub crawls. :D

finally an update!

Well thanks to the people at bicycledesigner.com I have an update!

A new 3 foot sissybar and apehangers give the bike some neat preportions, now I have to figure out how much of a tire I can fit in the back there.

P1010081.jpg

P1010080.jpg

Wow! lots of updates going on and I feel like I am falling behind.

Well I have a couple of more photos to share...

P1010109.jpg

26x2.125 is the largest I can fit in the frame, this is a Kenda fireball.

P1010108.jpg

Attached the headlite to a star nut in the forks, an idea I picked up from
cooperscruisers.com, a great site but hasn't been updated in YEARS!

Still need to afix the seat and then worry about the finish.

Lookin good!! Parts and accessories can make a bike, but I think this bike was made with the flipped frame.

So how is that rear brake holding up?

I'm flipping mine on my RRBBO bike because I don't have the original bracket.

I don't know what you plan to do with the hole where your original crank used to be, but a couple of ideas would be to (1) use some of those large auto wheel type washers on each side with a bolt through them to hold them on, or (2) put some type of round reflector on each side - a little extra safety plus filler for the hole.

RatRodDad said:
I don't know what you plan to do with the hole where your original crank used to be, but a couple of ideas would be to (1) use some of those large auto wheel type washers on each side with a bolt through them to hold them on, or (2) put some type of round reflector on each side - a little extra safety plus filler for the hole.

or a Big Bloodshot Eyeball on each side to fill the hole.. :lol:

or a Big Bloodshot Eyeball on each side to fill the hole.. :lol:[/quote]

OH MAN! THAT'S PERFECT!

haha

or a Big Bloodshot Eyeball on each side to fill the hole.. That would be kick butt!

My vote is some form of mock dual exhaust coming out of the BB shell and running down the seat stay (formerly chain stay).

Or it could be used (with one of the 3 piece set ups for a 1 piece housing) as a pivot point for a shift lever if a multi speed set up is in the plans.

Latest posts

Back