RRBBO8 Discussion Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
kingfish254 said:
Do you have the old rim that the hub came with? Is there any difference in the inside diameter of the old rim and the new rim? Did the old rim have the spoke holes lined up in the center or where they staggered from the center?

I'm sure you have a bunch of old wheels around. Find one that has a similar sized hub and a similar size/patter rim. Take the spokes from it, and do a test lace up on your wheel. If the spokes are too long, find a rim with shorter spokes and repeat.

This hub came from the wheel from the Spaceliner that you have, so it's one of those Murray wheels, I consider them to be drop center wheels, but I don't know if the drop leaves less sidewall, so that the rim is actually the same depth or not... Get what I'm saying?

Yeah, trial and error is the direction I'm heading, I just don't want to kill too many wheels!

The way I measured the rim was first take the outside diameter measurement.
Then I stood the rim up, laid a straight edge across it, and used my caliper to measure the depth of the rim. Multiply this depth times two and then subtract that from the O.D. That will give you the ERD measurement.

if you want a really rough way to ballpark it ... use the iso # to start (26" is 559mm) measure the distance of the inside sidewall height, multiply that by 2 and subtract it from the iso # to get your ballpark ERD (rim diameter)

rough and ballpark are the key words here, drop centers and deep-v's beware :lol:

CCR said:
if you want a really rough way to ballpark it ... use the iso # to start (26" is 559mm) measure the distance of the inside sidewall height, multiply that by 2 and subtract it from the iso # to get your ballpark ERD (rim diameter)

rough and ballpark are the key words here, drop centers and deep-v's beware :lol:

This is good since I'm using Arayas and they are pretty straight cut.

yoothgeye said:
This is good since I'm using Arayas and they are pretty straight cut.

I've been wrong in the past by an 1/8" or so using this way, if you can wait a couple days I'll get some pics up of how to measure them better.

Or just go off this, same thing I do :)

MeasuringERD_zpse6a405b2.jpg

That is brilliant!!!!
That image needs to go over the HOW TO section for sure!!!

CCR said:
yoothgeye said:
Now I have to figure out which little lines on my ruler are millimeters. :?

Hold it in your left hand to measure in mm :mrgreen:

Just remember to count from Right to Left if you use the left hand rule.

In the studio today I reached for a ruler and it was a triangular architect's rule made in GERMANY. I can't make heads or tails of the darn thing :lol:

Rockit! said:
In the studio today I reached for a ruler and it was a triangular architect's rule made in GERMANY. I can't make heads or tails of the darn thing :lol:

Those are only for measuring triangles.

Since we've gone into some "how to" on here I have a question. I picked up a bike with a 3 speed internal (looks like a 3CC but haven't cleaned it up enough to read it yet) the other day in hopes of adding it to my klunker build. The issue I now run into is that I will now need to switch to a rim brake for the rear and this frame only has a small tube between the stays rather than a flat piece for mounting the brake. Can I drill through that to mount the brake or am I stuck using a coaster brake on this?

Yes, you can drill a hole to mount a brake, or is that isn't substantial enough, you can make 2 plates that "sandwich" the seat stays being clamped into place with bolts and hold a brake.

ONLY 6 WEEKS LEFT

kim_dude said:
There is sooo much amazing stuff going on I have no idea how I would even go about choosing who to vote for. :?

It doesn't get any easier when the bikes are completed either.

kingfish254 said:
kim_dude said:
There is sooo much amazing stuff going on I have no idea how I would even go about choosing who to vote for. :?

It doesn't get any easier when the bikes are completed either.
Me I just need to choose a final paint color and layout now let alone worry about voting.

Latest posts

Back