***RustMaster*** Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repurposed brackets look good, innovative!

Oh yea, Detroit area has used architectural salvage for some time on interesting designs......in the design world...everyone borrows from someone whether they are cognizant of it or not. What we think is new is really just our take on it. Inspired by something we have seen or heard. Makes creativity a revolving door! My take on it! anyway...very kool stuff....It takes skill and a good eye to make it look good! Nice!

My appologies for erractic postings. Other projects and Honey-do's have me spinning and I feel I don't have the time to do what I want to do...such as work on this bike build. My appologie for not going into a lot of detail, I'm not sure if some things are interesting or just boring. My nieghbor asked me how I attached those decorations to the frame and not get it real messy.
I told him I used JB Weld which is a 2 part adhesive. To keep it from getting messy I put a small amount of both parts into a clear sandwich bag, mixed them together, clipped off the corner of the bag and used it like a cake icing bag and squeezed our small amounts. In the past I would have mixed it up with a popsickle stick and made a mess.

I have been trying to paint this also to look like its rusted and matching the bikes rusty patina and I'm not sure I am there.

This was the paint I was using.

Close to looking like rust???

Excellent execution on that scroll work. I especially like the piece that looks like it's going through the frame and continued on the other side.

I am in the process of testing out that same paint. Did yours spray like wet sand too? I usually hold the can about 6-8 inches away, but with this stuff I think I need to be about 12 inches away to keep it the wet sand from running. Curious if you had the same experience.

Excellent execution on that scroll work. I especially like the piece that looks like it's going through the frame and continued on the other side.

I am in the process of testing out that same paint. Did yours spray like wet sand too? I usually hold the can about 6-8 inches away, but with this stuff I think I need to be about 12 inches away to keep it the wet sand from running. Curious if you had the same experience.
Yes I felt this paint easily wanted to run, but because it was textured it never showed the runs that I was expecting once it had dried. A very forgiving paint when I had to get paint into very tight areas.

that is just beautiful. It's like the bike had been leaded against a fence once, and vines took it over, and became permanent.

I did a test with the same paint to try and reproduce rust look. Here is what I came up with.

After letting the texture paint dry I then wiped some antiquing glaze over it. When dry I then dry brushed some orange here and there. Not great but close to my eye.

Latest posts

Back