Rusty Ol' Firebolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OddJob, you gotta come down to Tucson. I'll show you around and take you to my used-bike-parts shop, where I've scored dozens of great vintage parts cheap! Seriously, it's an open invite, and I'm fully retired, so can meet almost any day/time.

I was afraid to remove rust from the chain guard, for fear of ruining the lettering, so I masked off the rusty embossed section and painted the rest black. I will be using black drag bars, black rims, black seat and chain.
20170130_061743.jpg

OddJob, you gotta come down to Tucson. I'll show you around and take you to my used-bike-parts shop, where I've scored dozens of great vintage parts cheap! Seriously, it's an open invite, and I'm fully retired, so can meet almost any day/time.
Sounds good! I will see what the calendar holds in the next few weeks. Would love to come down and hang out, and the used-bike-part stash sounds cool.

Another dilemma: The top bar has a slit on the top bar. It is bulging around the slit. Looks like water got in it and froze. I left it alone, mostly out of laziness, but also thinking a few battle scars look okay on these old bikes. Now I'm not so sure how I feel about it. It has a three-speed hub, so I could mask it with the shifter cable, or cover it with an old stick shifter I've been hoarding. Stick shifters look pretty cool, but from a rider's perspective, grip shifters are more safe and efficient. I'm going to think a bit about this for a while.
slit2.jpg

Another dilemma: The top bar has a slit on the top bar. It is bulging around the slit. Looks like water got in it and froze. I left it alone, mostly out of laziness, but also thinking a few battle scars look okay on these old bikes. Now I'm not so sure how I feel about it. It has a three-speed hub, so I could mask it with the shifter cable, or cover it with an old stick shifter I've been hoarding. Stick shifters look pretty cool, but from a rider's perspective, grip shifters are more safe and efficient. I'm going to think a bit about this for a while. View attachment 44799
Or, for a touch of bmx you could add a 'nad pad' for the top tube. I made some of these (with my wife's help on the sewing machine) dubbed 'Tube Tops' as kind of a joke and functionality for our fat bikes at home. Use pipe insulation (comes in a couple diameters) and cover with fabric. Snaps or velcro for attaching to the pad on the bike. Don't have access to any pics, but I think you get the idea.

I like your cable route idea as well. Or simply a sticker over it that says, "Ouch!" :grin:

20170201_173322.jpg
I actually thought of that, but in the interest of simplicity and function, I went with the grip shifter with the cable housing covering the slit. Rode it for a minute, and it rode well. It still needs a little spit and polish. I used a fairly standard cruiser seat, but if the bike cuts the mustard, I'll reward it with my Brooks saddle. I also have a NOS Columbia head badge which I'll slap on. I also finished a motorized bike today.

Done! I added a Columbia head badge, new cruiser pedals, a taillight and I'm happy with the outcome. The motorcycle drag bars looked too wide at 28", but I like the way they feel, so I won't cut them down just for looks. It rides like a new bike and shifts nicely. It's a keeper!
20170205_131350.jpg
20170205_140115.jpg

Attachments

• 20170205_131301.jpg
    20170205_131301.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 20170205_130948.jpg
    20170205_130948.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 211
Done! I added a Columbia head badge, new cruiser pedals, a taillight and I'm happy with the outcome. The motorcycle drag bars looked too wide at 28", but I like the way they feel, so I won't cut them down just for looks. It rides like a new bike and shifts nicely. It's a keeper!View attachment 45206 View attachment 45207
Nice work sd! And yeah, my motorcycle mx bars on Mesa Buggie are 33" wide! But the stability is awesome.

Good work all around on the build. And, we will be able to find you on the bike path for sure! :thumbsup:

Dig this color on this frame.

I personally would have simply put a band-aid over that tube crack.

Another dilemma: The top bar has a slit on the top bar. It is bulging around the slit. Looks like water got in it and froze. I left it alone, mostly out of laziness, but also thinking a few battle scars look okay on these old bikes. Now I'm not so sure how I feel about it. It has a three-speed hub, so I could mask it with the shifter cable, or cover it with an old stick shifter I've been hoarding. Stick shifters look pretty cool, but from a rider's perspective, grip shifters are more safe and efficient. I'm going to think a bit about this for a while. View attachment 44799
A small amount of JB Weld epoxy would seal the hole so more water does not find its way into the frame...:wink1:
Awesome build!

Did you get the clear coat on and do you like the way the color effex shows in the sun? I love that stuff but can never get a pic to show how great it looks. A dab of clear silicone rubbed into the cut will seal it and not hurt a thing with the paint.

[emoji450]L.

sent from a banana phone...

Latest posts

Back