SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the aero style of this bike. The whole mooneyes theme and you could not have found a better chainguard for it. But what I like even more is that you built a bike to fit you and you can really ride it. There are some super sweet looking board track bikes on here with flipped down bars and the seats all the way down. They look cool but can you really ride them for more than a few blocks? I am in no way trying to offend anyone on here by saying that. Building these bikes for the contest is fun I must admit, but after August 1 is when we really get to enjoy riding them around our cities wherever we are. This bike is going to turn some heads wherever you take it

I can agree that SOME of the boardtrack-style builds can be uncomfortable, but I can attest that not ALL are. I took ElgIndian on a 12-mile shakedown run on the Virginia Capital Trail, with the only event being a blown-up pedal! Not even ONE leg cramp!

Photo evidence (or it didn't happen, right?)...

b4b30d5aeaf07c56477d14732a11ca69.jpg

Downtown Richmond on the horizon.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see flipped or board track bars being a much different riding position than a set of road bike drop bars. I love the variety of builds and styles we see in the Build Off.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see flipped or board track bars being a much different riding position than a set of road bike drop bars. I love the variety of builds and styles we see in the Build Off.
Its not so much the relationship from the seat to the bars, its the lowered seat that does not allow proper leg extension when wanting to really hammer down on the pedals. But like I said, its more of a preference and not meant to insult anyone. The bike in the picture above is awesome. I love the style. If you can ride it, thats great.

Its not so much the relationship from the seat to the bars, its the lowered seat that does not allow proper leg extension when wanting to really hammer down on the pedals. But like I said, its more of a preference and not meant to insult anyone. The bike in the picture above is awesome. I love the style. If you can ride it, thats great.
That right there is why I've raised the seat on my current build. If you're going to "build the ride/ride the build" then it's gotta be comfy to you...
kingfish, what does the silver painted fenders look like next to the frame? It's probably too late to strip and polish them too. They match the discs though, right? I do love the decision to go with flat black alone.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

That right there is why I've raised the seat on my current build. If you're going to "build the ride/ride the build" then it's gotta be comfy to you...
kingfish, what does the silver painted fenders look like next to the frame? It's probably too late to strip and polish them too. They match the discs though, right? I do love the decision to go with flat black alone.

Carl.

Carl, you can see the painted fenders next to the polished frame in this picture. I actually wouldn't want them to be chromed out. I like how the slightly textured painted fenders helps tie together the racktank, guard, and discs. As I said earlier, there won't be any yellow striping on the bike. I'm feeling good about being able to add the flat black stripes this weekend..

index.php

Finished polishing

20160720_182932.jpg
20160720_182901.jpg

Glorious job on the polishing kingfish. This frame looks like a better option if you want to ride the bike much. Flocycle is pretty but that design doesn't look too sturdy for aluminum.

That there's an old penny now... Hey kingfish, the flat black on the guard should probably be just the raised lines huh? That'll be fun to mask off... and I'm confused, no triple duck tail? It's looking shiny tho and that's cool.

Carl.

That there's an old penny now... Hey kingfish, the flat black on the guard should probably be just the raised lines huh? That'll be fun to mask off... and I'm confused, no triple duck tail? It's looking shiny tho and that's cool.

Carl.

Haven't decided on the how I'll do the black on the guard. It can't be any worse the the masking I had to do on the flipped skirts on VerBoten. Triple duck tail will be in full effect.

Here are a couple more finished polishing pics

20160720_182949.jpg
20160720_182954.jpg
20160720_183002.jpg
20160720_183020.jpg
20160720_183858.jpg

Then I sealed it with this 6 month metal sealer that the detail shop gave me.

20160720_190109.jpg

After that I worked on the cleaning up and installing the cranks

20160720_211434.jpg
20160720_212214.jpg

And the forks

20160720_212223.jpg

I'll still need to remove the fenders for the stripes this weekend, but I reinstalled the tiple ducktail

20160720_214140.jpg

And mounted the wheels

20160720_214439.jpg

Then mounted the tank

20160720_220432.jpg

20160720_220524.jpg
20160720_220632.jpg

How do you like that "Sheen Genie" stuff? Looks like it didn't dull the shine at all. Might have to try some of that.

It was easy and leaves no residue or haze to see. Simply apply it sparingly, wait a few minutes and wipe (not buff) off. It doesn't affect the gloss at all.

:21:
I don't have enough hair to make a single ducktail, let alone a triple ducktail!!
:rofl:

Latest posts

Back