SaltHammer Savannah Sand Flats Silver King (1935 Monark Silver King) - Aug01 FINISHED! What A Blast!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That "tank" looks slender enough to have floating in the opening between the bars, rather than against the lower one. That would be a great illusion, if you could pull it off. Maybe mount it using transparent lucite standoffs? Anyway...it's just an idea.

I'll definitely try a mockup along those lines. Cool idea.

I love the RRB lineage of some of the parts we move across the RRB world.
I got this rack/tank from @A.S.BOLTNUT who got it from @American Vintage Bicycle Supply who got it from @highwheelerboy25 who got it from @gaskill

gas3.jpg

That "tank" looks slender enough to have floating in the opening between the bars, rather than against the lower one. That would be a great illusion, if you could pull it off. Maybe mount it using transparent lucite standoffs? Anyway...it's just an idea.

I went out to the shop tonight to give this a look and it won't work. The semi straight lines of the tank fight the curved lines of the twin top tubes above and the mid tube below.

Love the lettering on the tank, too!—it fits the bike so perfectly from color to style.

It's actually hand cut and shaded masking tape that Gaskill shellacked and aged.

gas4.jpg

I wonder if you could narrow the back down so it fits tight to the tube but keep the width at the front to make it more of a tear drop?

Looks cool like it is. Just trying to come up with some more work for you..:p..but I do think that would look steramlinery.

*•*•I can tell you now•*•*
This is my pick for the build!!
!!KiNgFiSh==GnArLy!!

Thanks man, I like my build, but there are too many heavy hitting builds going on or about to take off that I am just pleased to have fun and enjoy the company of the group ride we are all on right now.

I wonder if you could narrow the back down so it fits tight to the tube but keep the width at the front to make it more of a tear drop?

Looks cool like it is. Just trying to come up with some more work for you..:p..but I do think that would look steramlinery.

I thought about that when I was piecing it together and the problem with that is then the holes on top wouldn't line up. While the shape may work, the overall cohesion to the legacy of being a Higgins rack would be lost somewhat

I went out to the shop tonight to give this a look and it won't work. The semi straight lines of the tank fight the curved lines of the twin top tubes above and the mid tube below.

It was worth a shot. Not the first 'good idea' that turned out to be a stinker in practice. Won't be the last, either.

It was worth a shot. Not the first 'good idea' that turned out to be a stinker in practice. Won't be the last, either.

You never know without trying. Speaking of trying ideas out. I found this Day 1 pic that I never posted. At the time, I just didn't think the Virtue Ortho bars/stem would work for the build (or my gut). I'm gonna give them another mock up tomorrow just for the fun of it.

20160501_123242_resized.jpg
20160501_123249_resized.jpg

More experimentation with SaltHammer today.
Here are some mockups with the unique one piece drop bars.

20160529_113854.jpg
20160529_113903.jpg
20160529_113915.jpg
20160529_113940.jpg

Who needs comfort on the Salt Flats? :D

Also tested the light in a flipped position.

20160529_114727.jpg
20160529_114733.jpg
20160529_114746.jpg

Loving the gaskill tank! I'm not totally stoked about the Ortho bars...it has something to do with them coming to a point at the stem, it seems out of place on the curvy bike. I do hope that you try some curvy truss rods, I think they would work well overall.

The bars are interesting. To me, it looks like all the front end converges at the point from which the bars are "draped" or as if the bars were bent by the vertical thrust of the fork and its components. I'm not sure f it's a little jarring in a negative sense or adding interest, like a purposeful asymmetry in an otherwise balanced composition, compared to the rounded flow of the rest of the bike. I'm leaning towards the latter. I'd love to see it with my old Iver Johnson's bars:

upload_2016-5-29_15-12-23.png

I'm a fan of unusual bars, but I think the pointy junction at the top conflicts with the curves too. I'm wondering what a modern set of road bars in an aluminum finish to match the frame would look like...

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

Loving the gaskill tank! I'm not totally stoked about the Ortho bars...it has something to do with them coming to a point at the stem, it seems out of place on the curvy bike. I do hope that you try some curvy truss rods, I think they would work well overall.

The bars are interesting. To me, it looks like all the front end converges at the point from which the bars are "draped" or as if the bars were bent by the vertical thrust of the fork and its components. I'm not sure f it's a little jarring in a negative sense or adding interest, like a purposeful asymmetry in an otherwise balanced composition, compared to the rounded flow of the rest of the bike. I'm leaning towards the latter. I'd love to see it with my old Iver Johnson's bars:

I'm a fan of unusual bars, but I think the pointy junction at the top conflicts with the curves too. I'm wondering what a modern set of road bars in an aluminum finish to match the frame would look like... Carl.

If my only goal was to stick to the theme of Salt Flats Racer, I think I would keep these bars or something similar. I felt they looked great in that regard when I tested them this morning.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The more I read the input and look at the beautiful lines of the frame, I think the angular bars detract from the curves of the frame too much. It was a fun experiment though and not as arduous as the Imelda Marcos handlebar selection of BO10 :D.

Latest posts

Back