Sandblasting help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I just bought one of those "black Bull" 20lb pressurized sandblasters from TSC and I can't wait to start using it. Anyone have any experience with these type of blasters and any recomendations what type of blasting media works well with these... and where to buy? Thanks.

make sure and cover what ever u dont want sand in ....i used one and was pickin sand outa places ...well it goes everywhere ...LOL im talkin about on ur person not the bike....LOL :mrgreen:

mikesbikes36 said:
make sure and cover what ever u dont want sand in ....i used one and was pickin sand outa places ...well it goes everywhere ...LOL im talkin about on ur person not the bike....LOL :mrgreen:
Like the desert in a windstorm... I'm no blasting expert, but as I understand it, the type of metal and how much paint or rust is on it makes a difference in what material you blast with. I've heard that soda blasting is less damaging to metal than sand and gives a better final finish. There are several options now for blasting, and you might consult an auto paint specialty shop.(NOT AUTOZONE) Here we have a shop called Ferrystones. Auto body and paint supplies are all they handle. And they know everything about the products they sell. They also will mix ppg paint in any color you cant and put in a 20oz aerosol spray can for $17. Try to find a place like that, and then you will not only get questions answered but know where to buy your stuff as well.

I tried to go cheap and use “Playground” sand from Lowe’s. I got frustrated with trying to keep the ‘blaster unclogged and quit. Your sand needs to be sifted and dry!

You probably already know that sand between yer toes and in yer underwear isn’t so bad, but some of that stuff (silica) will get into places (lungs) and stay there forever . . . get rid of the dust mask and wear a respirator!

I used a bead blaster at the shop where I worked all the time. Having a compressor that will keep up with your blasting and hold 100 lbs of pressure is a big plus. I used the media they had on hand at the shop...glass beads. I don't know what size they were but they worked great for the many bike parts I did.

One thing I learned is that you don't touch the freshly blasted part with your bare hands. I pulled the blasted part out of the cabinet with a clean rag, shot some air on it to knock the dust off and then hung it up and rattle can primed it right there on the spot.

You might consider making a simple blast cabinet. You can make a frame out of scrap wood and cover it with heavy cardboard. A piece of plexiglas mounted at an angle for the window, holes for your arms, and a tray at the bottom to catch the sand. Not as good as a factory cabinet but you will at least be able to reclaim some of your media and keep some of it off your body.

The bikes I blasted and painted in the late 90's are holding up fine and I think part of the reason is the blasting down to bare metal so the paint could get a good bite. Gary

Sand is the worst thing to use in a sand blaster. I got my abrasives from Harbor Freight, but pick it up, don't have it shipped. I didn't want a barrel full, just 5 - 50 lbs. at a time. I read one needs 7 cu. ft. per minute of air at 90 psi to blast well. Check your compressor output, and adjust output to get adequate pressure at the end of the hose. I had a gauge with fitting to plug in the end of the hose before plugging in blaster. Blasting sheet metal hardens the surface (shot-peening), but steel frames are ideal candidates. Glass bead is wonderful, but expensive & needs to be recovered. ALWAYS wear a respirator, not a dust mask. When a surface is properly blasted it is mechanically & chemically clean, but rust begins as soon as you stop blasting. Prime it right away. Take off heavy dirt & grease before blasting. Most common abrasives will eat metal, so keep moving & don't overdo it. The surface will be etched, not smooth. Primer levels it out. Most blasting media eventually wear out (breaks down). Don't expect 20 lbs. to be a "lifetime" supply. On a brazed frame the bronze is softer. Don't blast joint areas as much as all steel areas. On alloy frames I'd use chemical stripper instead.
That's what i know about blasting, in a nut shell. (You can buy ground walnut shells to blast with.) I saw plastic media results. One could blast the paint off an aluminum soda can without distortion, but it's expensive. The net is a great place to research industrial topics like blasting.
I hope this has will be helpful to someone.
There are lots of shade tree types who will argue with several points here. At work we always followed these rules to get consistent results with minimal hassle. And keep your powder dry!

I use black diamond media, which is some kind of glass product. You can get it @ Tractor Supply, in 40lb bags. It works well removing paint & light rust also. ALWAYS wear a respirator!

The Black Diamond or Black Beauty media is a great all around media. fairly cheap and you can get it at Menards and other big box retailers like them. If your blasting thin metal like chain guards, tanks, ect. Charcoal is great. it wont warp or damage the metal. Save up some money and get a good blast cabinet. makes all the difference for smaller parts.

Latest posts

Back