School me on lowrider springers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm toying with the idea of putting a 26" bent springer on my current build and have a few questions for those in the know.

How much do they extend the front wheel over a stock fork?

Do they lower the bike?

Are there ones to avoid, I'm looking on ebay and Amazon.

I have used plenty of springers, but never a bent lowrider springer. I would think your wheelbase would increase by 6" to a foot.
-They definitely lower the front. I don't know if you will need shorter cranks. I would guess that you will need a crankset from a 24" wheeled bike. You can get them from a used 24" mountain bike.
-We have a Lowrider thread under the "Show Me Your" sub-forum. You should get plenty of ideas there.
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-see-some-lowriders.26463/

I have a 26" Raleigh cantilever frame that I threw some spare parts at, including a bent springer. And yes, it considerably lengthens and lowers the bike. The stock cranks make an very functional kickstand now, and there is no pedaling while turning.

I can't get to most of my bike horde currently, so I can't measure...but, wheelbenders estimate above is probably about right.

A bent springer and it cruises all day stock 26" cranks. (Rockin' Rollfast BO 11)
I honestly believe it all depends on the rake of your frame, the length of the spring and it's bracket. I've seen them scrape and some clear fine. I couldn't tell you who made mine, but it's probably a Sunlight. A longer spring bracket or cutting your spring down will lower your bike. So spacers and a longer spring bolt could also raise your bike...

Carl.
a final roll 002.jpg

Thank you all for replying. Carl's info is great to have, as I didn't even think about adjusting the spring.

I'm still up in the air if I want to try one or stick with the stock Varsity fork. I would have to raise the springer as I can't go any lower than I am now.

P8260499.jpg

Last edited:
I've been thinking of simply using a 28" regular springer on a 26" front wheel and then setting it a bit lower - so it should be a normal height (like a 26") and still extend the front wheel a bit forward. But I read often that they bottom out easily and the longer the fork the more leverage so I guess it would bottom out even easier... so I never purchased that idea.

I've been thinking of simply using a 28" regular springer on a 26" front wheel and then setting it a bit lower - so it should be a normal height (like a 26") and still extend the front wheel a bit forward. But I read often that they bottom out easily and the longer the fork the more leverage so I guess it would bottom out even easier... so I never purchased that idea.
Well, bottoming out is adjustable by the tension of your spring bro.
But I've never seen a 28" springer...

Carl.

One thing to watch, if you use a longer spring/cage to raise the front, it will move the fork legs back, potentially limiting your turning due to them hitting the frame.

That said, I can see a springer on that bike easily, maybe not a bent one though.

Whatever you decide, build on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got one. It def lowers the bike! It extends the wheelbase, too. I was surprised by the weight of it. It is nearly as heavy as a double spring! Mine has questionable chrome, the painted ones are probably the way to go?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back