Schwinn Hollywood 3 Wheel Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Erik here and I’m brand new to the forum. There are some awesome posts on here! I’ve mountain biked for about 10 years and haven’t ventured into vintage bikes until now.

I’m not certain if this is the proper place to post this, but my son saved this bike from the dump and now he and I have a nice project on our hands. It seems hard to find information on this bike, but based on the model number it seems to have been manufactured in 1958. It’s a Schwinn Hollywood and I can’t find much more about it. I’ve only found 2 or 3 other examples of the Hollywood style. Anybody have information on this bike, pictures etc? The pictures I found had fenders. Thanks!!

4d2ae66d9dfd126704f7d9f82c7e9b7d.jpg

2a47a8d0b3321a24f797747720e7e007.jpg

caea33308900d4886128ca366153d3c0.jpg

945153783c1b5f4d6044fff7c2b2b029.jpg

a9bd467e81d801c0ca8f5d2a64f3448b.jpg

The trike kit added to your bike is far newer than the bike and not a Ret-Bar or Schwinn product. Its quite similar to those you can buy today. The Hollywood serial number can tell you when the bike was manufactured (1960s- 1970s). I don't think it was around in the 1950s. Don't forget the location of the serial number on the frame matters. Under the bb is ~1950s, on the left rear dropout is the ~1960s, head tube ~1970s. Schwinn would reboot their number system every generation or so and some numbers repeat as a result.

In the early 1960s, Schwinn dealers could buy the Ret-Bar trike kit and install it on any bike for customers. At some point in time, Schwinn bought the Ret-Bar kit patent/license/company and added the Town And Country Tri-Wheeler to the catalog that was based on a 24" girls schwinn. About the only change Schwinn made to the kit was in paint color to match the rest of the bike. I recall the T&C came out in about 1967. In 1972 or so, Schwinn changed the design from 1 wheel drive to a differential for 2 wheel design. That differential was made of stamped sheet metal gear and housing and didn't hold up.

Nice save!

The trike kit added to your bike is far newer than the bike and not a Ret-Bar or Schwinn product. Its quite similar to those you can buy today. The Hollywood serial number can tell you when the bike was manufactured (1960s- 1970s). I don't think it was around in the 1950s. Don't forget the location of the serial number on the frame matters. Under the bb is ~1950s, on the left rear dropout is the ~1960s, head tube ~1970s. Schwinn would reboot their number system every generation or so and some numbers repeat as a result.

In the early 1960s, Schwinn dealers could buy the Ret-Bar trike kit and install it on any bike for customers. At some point in time, Schwinn bought the Ret-Bar kit patent/license/company and added the Town And Country Tri-Wheeler to the catalog that was based on a 24" girls schwinn. About the only change Schwinn made to the kit was in paint color to match the rest of the bike. I recall the T&C came out in about 1967. In 1972 or so, Schwinn changed the design from 1 wheel drive to a differential for 2 wheel design. That differential was made of stamped sheet metal gear and housing and didn't hold up.

Nice save!

This is excellent information, Rick! I very much appreciate it as I’m a complete novice here. There is no wonder I cant find info on this bike make/model as it’s already been modified! Which also helps me understand the bike’s authenticity - since it’s very much not original I feel we can be a little more creative with fixing it up. The serial number is under the rear drop out - not sure that alters anything here minus perhaps the age of the bike.

Should be fun and thanks for the knowledge!

Latest posts

Back