Schwinn Hollywood gender bender - all but finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I've enjoyed lurking this site for a while, and am really excited to become a part of such a creative, friendly community. I've been hanging on to this 24" Hollywood for a few years (unable to get rid of it really) and I was determined to make something out of a girls bike. A few weeks ago, I finally had a revelation and got to cutting.

My plan so far is some chopper influence on a 24" muscle bike. Keep the 24" S7 front wheel and dig up a standard 24" rear wheel with a 24x2.2 tire. Narrow ape hangers, banana seat.

The starting point:

26" Schwinn fork, top tube cut away from neck, and a 2" section added to the down tube, right near the bottom bracket:

Welcome! Hit the introductions thread and say hello.
Bike looks cool, have a finish in mind? When in doubt flat black is always in season. I like the longer fork, will the S7 be skinny enough? Fat skinny on rats is always good too.
Avatar bike looks good. That yours too?

Carl.

Gui
Welcome! Hit the introductions thread and say hello.
Bike looks cool, have a finish in mind? When in doubt flat black is always in season. I like the longer fork, will the S7 be skinny enough? Fat skinny on rats is always good too.
Avatar bike looks good. That yours too?

Carl.
Yessir thats a 24" Murray with big and little 20" wheels. its a grab bag of probably six bikes; rode it everyday, all weather, throughout college.

Also, I'm not sure if the S7 will be enough. 1 3/4" is all anyone can find for it; I thought about trying a 520mm tire but decided to follow the "rules" to start and see how it looks.

This is an S7 rim with a 24 x 1 3/8 micro tread bmx tire on it. It will fit, have at least one plastic tire lever on hand. I got mine on with just one Quik Stik mtb lever. Low profile....

That's a 26 " fork off a 5 speed girl's bike.
fourgone conclusion.jpg

Nice looking welds... and frame.
You should be able to use any 24" fractional tire (24×1 3/8, 24×1 3/4) with that rim. The skinnier you go the tire will have a lower profile from the side but still be the width of the rim. Hope that helps and welcome aboard.

Nice looking welds... and frame.
You should be able to use any 24" fractional tire (24×1 3/8, 24×1 3/4) with that rim. The skinnier you go the tire will have a lower profile from the side but still be the width of the rim. Hope that helps and welcome aboard.
I tried that, went to the local shop and bought a 24x 1 3/8" tire and it was way too big. I called upon Sheldon and found that SOME 1 3/8" tires are 540mm, whereas my S7 is 521mm and the rest are 520mm.

The 1 3/4" front tire is in at the bike shop, will pick that up soon and see if its skinny enough, or if I need to resort to a 24x 1 1/8" BMX tire for the "look". Rear 24x2.2 tire is mounted and looks good. Pictures this weekend!

Latest posts

Back