Schwinn Panther - back to stock!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, mostly stock anyway!
This is my favourite old bike, and it has the miles on it to prove it. I've been running it stripped down without fenders or rack, with creme Fat Franks, and lovin' it.
I don't know if it's my new Relic or what, but I've been getting back into the "full fender" look lately, and decided to put the Panther back together.
Unfortunately, at some point in its life, some moron painted every square inch of the chrome (luckily, except for the tank and rims) on the bike with a spray can - and badly. So, I set out to cleaning it all off. I don't know if you guys are familiar with these racks, but getting the paint off of all those ribs was a major piece of work, let alone all the other surfaces. Got most of the dings out of the fenders, too. Now I need a nice old reflector for the rear.
I'd been thinking about re-painting the frame, but after seeing its rough-ed up patina against all that newly-shined up chrome and new fat whitewalls, I may just leave it as is. So now its sporting all its original equipment except for the tires, seat post, a nice comfy saddle, matching grips, and handlebars (made to actually fit an adult!). This beast weighs a ton, but man does it ride smooth and sweet! 8)

003-4.jpg

007-8.jpg

Thanks - not bad for 8 o'clock in the morning, on the way out the door to the office, huh? :mrgreen:

Thanks guys!
Here's how it first looked shortly after I bought it way back when; even the chrome that was still intact wasn't looking too good:
248.jpg

And here's how it's looked up until recently:
006-4.jpg

Thanks, guys!
(Really nice to have your work, and your own taste in bikes appreciated! 8) )

Cool, thanks!
If/when I ever paint it, that could come in handy.

If you ever go to repaint it, try using oven cleaner to remove the spray paint. Sometimes it will removed the spray paint and leave the factory paint.

Very cool bike!

Latest posts

Back