Sears Muscle Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I picked this up this morning for $100 off craigslist. It should make for a great grandpa/grandson project. It's a 5-speed Sears somethin'-or-other.
20160518_083139_001_resized_zpsfcjkhd6i.jpg

Yup, Chrome 20" Sears Spyder. It's a 3-speed, rather than a 5, but that's still good to go. Those Shimano 333 internal 3-speed hubs failed a lot. I've been lucky with the ones I've turned around, but I know there have been some that are toast inside.

Good news: Looks like an easy restore. Tear it down, polish it, replace the seat, and you're good to go. You could even put a new slick on it, like a Duro, to make it a nice rider that still has that 60's look.

To watch out for: Oil the hub, but DON'T OPEN IT!! You need special tools to get it back together. I learned the hard way. Put some oil in it. (I recommend Teflon oil) and run it through, drain it, and do it again. If it runs and shifts fine, you're golden. If not... you may consider buying another one, or maybe someone has a wheel. Or maybe lacing a Nexus, non-Coaster hub in there. (But that will be tricky with that old stick shift.)

Let us know if you need any help with questions or advice!

Nice acquisition! Chrome bikes are nice, no need to repaint them :D

And I have the same advice as CRASH he is right on point, if the hub isn't good, just look for another, they are cheap and fairly plentiful used.

Good luck with it!

Gotta find a 24" version of this guard. The holes are punched different and it's Slightly angled different against the rear fender.

This 20" Chrome is Wicked cool! I'd love to know what it looks like today!

FZ

Latest posts

Back