Sears tote\cycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
E39222B1-1E1F-41BA-8235-CD070E8DF899.jpeg

IMG_1117.jpg

Found a photo of it on bikeforums... Yikes!

If I keep this, I'll probably never "fold" it. I thought it was cool that it has such a long wheelbase for a 20" bike.

I have a Sears Tote Cycle and i've done a bit of www research.

the bracket was an option which few seem to have bought. Like less than 1% of the bikes had them.

The bikes came in 2 colors. Yours and dull brown (mine). They came in 1 speed or 3 speed versions. My 3 speed had the shift lever on the seat tube below the seat. That kept any cables from traversing the "fold". Hard to reach while riding. The gearing is way high on the 3 speed version. I changed it out to a lower ratio, smaller sprocket, bigger cog. That took a few tries because there is very little clearance under the oddly shaped chain guard. The "folding" feature is a royal pita. It takes 4 hands to reassemble as each half is top heavy. I replaced the wing bolts with hex head bolts to discourage anyone from trying that again. I could also tighten up the hex bolts better than the wing bolts. I also put on a normal 3 speed trigger on the handle bars. I added a milk crate to the rear for better cargo carrying. Mine also has a front rack that is great for a 24 pack. I see them around. Sears sold many thousands of them. Most are in good condition as they have been stuffed in a closet for the past 40 years. The ride quality isn't great. Short wheelbase and short cockpit. Handle bars a bit high.

A before photo:

Back