Show me your Military theme bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this counts right? Me and my friend built this together.
DSCN6132.jpg

DSCN6130.jpg

Here's mine...

This is a bike I did for my uncle who is a former Marine Vietnam veteran. The bike was a late model retro Murray single speed cruiser. Instead if doing it in OD green or Crimson & Gold, I opted to to use colors representing the USMC dress blue uniform. I added various miniature emblems and decals to pay tribute to him and all USMC Vietnam veterans. Sorry for the photo quality......still using the iPhone. Enjoy!!

More pics here:
http://public.fotki.com/ChipsMahoy/bike ... -bike.html

i'm going to try to build one before the end of the year. meanwhile enjoy my friends war time columbia

42 or 43 i forgot the year

before as he bought it

wartimecolumbiaBEFORE.jpg

current

wartimecolumbia.jpg

made the TP stencils for the fenders yesterday. he should get that paint by friday and the red tip on the fender. did a little research and it turns out this used to belong to some kind of chemical warfare unit. hence the CWS plate!

My 1954 Swiss army bike....before..... All original including paint.

sb.jpg

And after......
modified exclusively with it's own parts, like it could have been done in '54. Modified tubes and handle bar repainted to match original patina

1~3.jpg

I love it!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

A few years ago I came across a pre-war Colson frame that was this:
1012536946_W7dfd-L.jpg

And turned it into this:
Colson1-L.jpg

All right!! Beautiful build M38A1!
Now post a pic of your Willys too! :wink:
I had a CJ2A, dressed as an MB, love jeeps...

Sweet!!! The first looptail I have seen from the old school fat tire era. :D

M38A1 said:
A few years ago I came across a pre-war Colson frame that was this:
1012536946_W7dfd-L.jpg

And turned it into this:
Colson1-L.jpg

I'm sort of new to this bicycle thing so what's a "looptail"? Is it the curved radius where the rear stays meet up instead of hard angles?

And here's the M38A1... :D
M38A1etal-L.jpg

Very nice combo!!! I´m more a flat fender guy, but those jeep and trailer are awesome!
Is that 30. fully functional or just like mine... a poser? :cry:

M38A1,
To answer your question, 'a looptail' refers to a frame where the seatsays and chainstays are one piece. in some instances it is one 'continuos' loop of tubing that is attached to the rest of the frame at the seat tube and the bottom bracket / kickstand area. This style was used by several vintage bike manufacturers and BMX as well.

Here's a modern example from http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com

looptail03.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Gdcast said:
Very nice combo!!! I´m more a flat fender guy, but those jeep and trailer are awesome!
Is that 30. fully functional or just like mine... a poser? :cry:

lol.... Thank you.

I carry a letter from BATF in the glovebox saying it's been adequately 'neutered'. They say once a machine gun, always a machine gun. Well, not when you strip the internals and weld a block of steel inside.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
M38A1,
To answer your question, 'a looptail' refers to a frame where the seatsays and chainstays are one piece. in some instances it is one 'continuos' loop of tubing that is attached to the rest of the frame at the seat tube and the bottom bracket / kickstand area. This style was used by several vintage bike manufacturers and BMX as well.

Here's a modern example from http://www.genuinebicycleproducts.com

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Wow, thanks for the lesson. I sort of figured that but to see how it's been used over the years is nice to know.

Latest posts

Back