Show Off Your Finished Huffy Cranbrook's and Nel Lusso

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my Huffy Cranbrook so far, still have a few things I would like to do to it.
f1d1dfdd069b60d7288d3991cd471fa2.jpg

Huffy Cranbrook “Daddy-O!”

004_zpsca6e1859.jpg

007_zpsa44ebb89.jpg

008_zps0995614b.jpg

009_zps5f797285.jpg

Part’s List:
Nitto “Mustache” handlebar
CTA gooseneck
Specialized “Body Geometry” handgrips
Sturmey Archer 2-speed kickback rear hub w/19T drive cog
SunLite springer
BFK sissybar
gray pleated banana seat

A simple cruiser with a 2-speed kickback hub laced onto the factory red rims and whitewalls; a simple throw-back to a simpler time.

Last edited:
Huffy Cranbrook “Daddy-O”

004_zpsca6e1859.jpg

007_zpsa44ebb89.jpg

008_zps0995614b.jpg

009_zps5f797285.jpg

Part’s List:

Nitto “Mustache” handlebar

CTA gooseneck

Specialized “Body Geometry” handgrips

Sturmey Archer 2-speed kickback rear hub w/19T drive cog

SunLite springer

Building a clean simple cruiser with a kickback hub laced onto the factory red rims and whitewalls was the intention, a simple throw-back to a simpler time.

I hope you guys like her.

It's a Schwinn Del Mar, but same idea!
iXzSc8a.jpg
I wouldn't be surprised..
Some time ago when I went into Wally World to look for a bike.. I pulled out a few and every frames looks similar or made alike...
My son told me that Pacific Cycle of Dorel Industries manufactures most makes..
For all I know that bulkier down tube is tattle tale sign of China made bike..

It's a Schwinn Del Mar, but same idea!
iXzSc8a.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised..
Some time ago when I went into Wally World to look for a bike.. I pulled out a few and every frames looks similar or made alike...
My son told me that Pacific Cycle of Dorel Industries manufactures most makes..
For all I know that bulkier down tube is tattle tale sign of China made bike..

Huffy is owned by the Chinese according to online info. In 2004 it was turned over to its Chinese creditors in bankruptcy court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffy

Schwinn is one of the many Pacific Cycle brands. Their could be some made in the same factory but I doubt on the same line because Huffy cantilever frames usually have some sloppy welds with slag splatter and occasionally worse. The Schwinn canti's have always been cleaner welds in regards to the examples I have seen in stores. I'm not knocking the Huffy frames, I own own two of their Chinese made cantis. One Cranbrook that was given to me and one 3 speed Regatta I bought from Walmart back some years ago when they had them marked down to the price of a Nexus 3 wheel set. You just have to look the welds over on the canti bars, seat stays, and chain guard mounting tabs. Some have been posted online with holes blown in the tubing. Saw one pic of a new Cranbrook all Wallyworld with the canti bars welded on uneven.

Huffy is owned by the Chinese according to online info. In 2004 it was turned over to its Chinese creditors in bankruptcy court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffy

Schwinn is one of the many Pacific Cycle brands. Their could be some made in the same factory but I doubt on the same line because Huffy cantilever frames usually have some sloppy welds with slag splatter and occasionally worse. The Schwinn canti's have always been cleaner welds in regards to the examples I have seen in stores. I'm not knocking the Huffy frames, I own own two of their Chinese made cantis. One Cranbrook that was given to me and one 3 speed Regatta I bought from Walmart back some years ago when they had them marked down to the price of a Nexus 3 wheel set. You just have to look the welds over on the canti bars, seat stays, and chain guard mounting tabs. Some have been posted online with holes blown in the tubing. Saw one pic of a new Cranbrook all Wallyworld with the canti bars welded on uneven.
Make sense to me.. I noticed that on mine, canti aren't welded to seat tube but to top tube only.. There is quite a gap between canti and seat tube, about 1/4".. I haven't yet found any other flaw.. except for stock fenders are about thin as tin foil, very easily dented if you sneeze on 'em..

At the lower end of the market, Quality Control is in direct proportion to the Bottom Line; conversely, the Bottom Line is inversely proportionate to Quality Control at the higher end of the market.

These diametrically opposed markets are exemplified by the level of craftsmanship requirements needed to produce a given product unite. There are instances in the automotive world where the level of materials fit and finish is so high that the cost of building the car far exceeds the price that the market is willing to bare. In other words, it cost more to build it then what they could get for it at the point of sale. As a result, the vast majority of high end automotive manufacturers are owned by even larger mass market auto manufacturers; these mass market automotive manufacturers subsidize their high end producers of cars and are considered a prestige asset by the mass marketers.

This is a universal application in the black art of manufacturing and marketing and as such, applies to bicycles too.

Latest posts

Back