SHOW US YOUR KLUNKERZ

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just played around with mine today, the front tire almost rubs lol gotta find a 26" bmx type fork that will fit the handlebars
100_2398.jpg

Here's a bomber i put together from a 67 schwinn. lots a fun to ride.
209pogl.jpg

34xg9pk.jpg

2yyd1lt.jpg

I also have a 40 CWC straight bar frame that I'm doing bomber style with a freshly cleaned and polished 41 morrow hub, new sturmey archer front drum hub and sun rhino lite rims.

broke one to many spokes on my regular rims so i figure i throw this together for a temp ride ......

100_1683.jpg

100_1684.jpg

100_1685.jpg

Here is one of the original Klunkerz, at least from Schwinn's persective. It's a 1979 Schwinn Spitfire 5, and from what I could find out it was Schwinn's first foray into the MTB world. They later changed the name to Klunker and Klunker 5. Currently it is not in Klunker mode, but it still has the beefy spokes and the 5 speed drum brake rear wheel.

SchwinnSpittfire5avatar.jpg

P9011242.jpg
P9011240.jpg
P9011236.jpg
P9011235.jpg
P9011246.jpg
P9011245.jpg

Well she is finished (for now) and here is the breakdown..
1939 BF Goodrich streamliner frame OG paint
Truss rod fork with cycle lock year unknown
Rims are rhino lites laced to New Departure WW2 blackout hubs with Kenda small block 8 tires (2.35)
NOS Schwinn inch pitch chain with sweetheart sprocket and 1936 dogleg crank
Campy record seat binder with 6061 bar stock seat post
Brooks professional saddle (Van's limited edition)
Postwar Merlin titanium stem
Postwar Race Face Evolve XC bars :lol:

StraightbarJay said:
P9011242.jpg
P9011240.jpg
P9011236.jpg
P9011235.jpg
P9011246.jpg
P9011245.jpg

Rims are rhino lites laced to New Departure WW2 blackout hubs with Kenda small block 8 tires (2.35)

Hey Straightbar Jay-

Great bike man, super clean! I love seeing your bike behind the lowered microbus with the "TOES TO THE NOSE" sticker! I gotta ask, as I would have killed for one of those VANS edition Brooks saddle... did you pay the $320.00 going price? With only 500 of those saddles worldwide, I regret not jumping on one of those saddles but I figured I'd be hesitant to run it and it would have sat under my bed or in the closet instead of on a bike. I found a LBS selling NOS SDG "Big Boy" kevlar saddles for $20.00, that suited my wallet but it's certainly not as pretty as the tooled leather of a Brooks VANS!!!

Anyone interested and unaware of the VANS/Brooks colab, here is a link to the saddles and the shoes:

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2010/12/14/ ... lable-now/

neo_pop_71 said:
StraightbarJay said:
P9011242.jpg
P9011240.jpg
P9011236.jpg
P9011235.jpg
P9011246.jpg
P9011245.jpg

Hey Straightbar Jay-

Great bike man, super clean! I love seeing your bike behind the lowered microbus with the "TOES TO THE NOSE" sticker! I gotta ask, as I would have killed for one of those VANS edition Brooks saddle... did you pay the $320.00 going price? With only 500 of those saddles worldwide, I regret not jumping on one of those saddles but I figured I'd be hesitant to run it and it would have sat under my bed or in the closet instead of on a bike. I found a LBS selling NOS SDG "Big Boy" kevlar saddles for $20.00, that suited my wallet but it's certainly not as pretty as the tooled leather of a Brooks VANS!!!

Anyone interested and unaware of the VANS/Brooks colab, here is a link to the saddles and the shoes:

http://www.freshnessmag.com/2010/12/14/ ... lable-now/

Hey thanks Neo!! Yea I am stoked,,,it turned out sweet!!! .. Yea i was gonna just put that saddle away but it just fits the bike perfect.. I think i paid 250 off ebay and wanted a brooks pro but those are so gorgeous i just pulled the trigger and spent a little extra on it!!! But jeez its about as comfy as a block off wood!!! :lol: I did break one in along time ago and they are sweet after they are beaten into submission!!! Bike prob won't see tons of miles so i would rather store it on the bike than under my bed!!!

Price is only a detail when you want something, like a skewed perspective... $300.00 for a limited run Brooks saddle is nothing... look at the guy who drops $10,000.00 on a carbon ride from Taiwan and can't ride for sh*t! I wanted one of those saddles, then "reason" got me second guessing, and by the time I called Harris Cycles back they had sold out. Snooze you lose!!! I can't tell you what bike part(s) I bought with that $300.00 but I know that I'll have to do battle on Ebay with 20 other people to have one in the future... great! :roll:

Anyway, really nice build on that Klunker, I should be so lucky as to have mine come out that clean! Besides, I dig the juxtaposition of the pre-war klunker next to some graff... really nice touch! I may borrow that idea for my next set of "finished" photos.

Peace'fo'real,

-D-

p.s. Those saddles are blocks of wood when new!!! Oh, the twins... :shock:

kingfish254 said:
Here is one of the original Klunkerz, at least from Schwinn's persective. It's a 1979 Schwinn Spitfire 5, and from what I could find out it was Schwinn's first foray into the MTB world. They later changed the name to Klunker and Klunker 5. Currently it is not in Klunker mode, but it still has the beefy spokes and the 5 speed drum brake rear wheel.

SchwinnSpittfire5avatar.jpg

Dad got me one of those in'78 when I started delivering the Detroit Free Press. Pedaled papers on that bike for three years. Wish I still had it, it was a tank!

Here you can see my mutant. It had be ready today. Sorry, for my bad english, but I`m german.
Ok, here are some pictures:
8461706gba.jpg

8461708nas.jpg

8461707wpb.jpg

8461716mah.jpg

8461717mge.jpg

Latest posts

Back