show your bike trailer! and how you hook it up to your bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100_2947.jpg

100_2946.jpg

while not hooked up yet, Im gonna use the set up from a kids trailer, axle mount

A beautiful old wagon.

Here is my trailer. The frame and the hitch is off of an old child carrier that I got off of http://www.freecycle.org.

0628111325.jpg

I built it with the tilt so that when it rains and I'm riding the water pretty much only hits the underside and don't fly up on the trailer. I painted the underside with 4 coats of miscellaneous paint that I had laying around for years just to protect it.
002.jpg

It's a pretty quick connect, just pull the pin and it comes right off, and goes back on in about 5 seconds.
003-2.jpg

I'm thinking about redoing it over the winter, and have several ideas so not real sure what direction I will go in yet, depends on what supplies I stumble across on the cheap!

Untitled by andrew snyder, on Flickr
finished mine up yesterday, was a kids trailer but all we ended up using was the axle, rims/tires, and the arm. i built the frame from 1 inch square tubing and redwood fence boards cut and sanded to make for the bottom. so far we know it holds and rides around a 170 pound teenager or two :mrgreen:

Untitled by andrew snyder, on Flickr
the bike that is supposed to be pulling it (not my daily) is an old schwinn with a three speed that will also be a pull start bike for the roadie that is sitting on the trailer in the pictures. . .just with a bigger sprocket

Mine is a work in progress and going to make a teardrop trailer to pull behind my stretch cruiser. The trailer is currently attached to the loaner bike I use until my bike comes in.

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

Attached to the bike with this hitch
417NhJXtT4L._SS500_.jpg

**UPDATED**

98% finished. Still need to install some anchors for straps, need to find a couple of fenders and need to install some lighting for the back.

IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

Attached to the bike. It's pressure treated lumber but I may stain it a dark red to somewhat match the bike.
IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

I made this from a kick scooter. I wanted the trailer to be narrow enough to fit within the bike lane. I intended to carry a five gallon can of gasoline with it (to make premix for my motorized bike). It was a flexy setup, so I was I was only able to haul 3 gallons of fuel on it. I had a lot of fun fiddling with it and trying to make it work.
CIMG0232.jpg

CIMG0233.jpg

I don't have a pic of mine, but I just hose clamp my old radio flyer to the back of my rear rack... It works well until you get four heavyweights, a middleweight and a old 6s briggs in it, then it likes to pull wagons apart at the seems. And flip over too.

I started a trailer thread, but then found that this one already existed.

Here is a scratch fabricated trailer that came about when I decided to refurbish an old Radio Flyer wagon to pull my little dog around. ( He is a 4 pound Chihuahua) I soon morphed the idea into a bike trailer so I could take him along on rides. The idea was to make it easy to disassemble, and convert back to the original wagon. I don’t want to bore you with the details, but I found the parts cheap and it took about 4 or 5 days to complete with the cutting, welding and painting. (That also includes the wagon chassis parts and wheels) The hardest part was using what I had on hand to make a 3- axis connector that was close to a U-joint in its swivel action. I am planning to use a quick release pin for the coupler, but for the test rides it was bolted together to see how it handled. It can also be flipped over with the wagon tub removed to give it a higher ride stance, and I plan to extend the frame and add a wood floor and side boards as a third option for cargo.
CorvetteTrailer025.jpg
CorvetteTrailer026.jpg
CorvetteTrailer020.jpg
CorvetteTrailer017.jpg

That RF turned out slick!!

Three - Way Convertible

This project was inspired by a trailer I saw online. I just imitated the design for the frame and really cheaply. I bought a couple sticks of electrical EMT conduit along with (4) 90 degree bends, and welded it to form a box. I got two 4" angle brackets, cut them in half, and welded them to the frame rails for wheel mounts. Mounted the flatbed with (6) single conduit clips. Then I fabricated a swivel joint to connect the hitch on my Schwinn El Camino. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69825 Painted it black and added some vintage 20" rear fenders & braces.
BikesEtc010_zps0209d6b1.jpg

(1) I can use it as a flat bed...
The wheels are quick release, and the tow bar is bolted to the inside of the frame and is removable. For storage, the whole thing with the exception of the wood box comes apart with just a few bolts.
BikesEtc013_zps5743c132.jpg

(2) Add the box I built ( inspired by pick up truck side boards) with a tailgate for my cooler or dog...
BikesEtc015_zpsc5c70bb0.jpg

BikesEtc017_zpseff339d2.jpg

BikesEtc012_zps14c93ab0.jpg

(3) Bolt on one, or two steel car top carrier rails to haul my other bikes.
BikesEtc022_zpsedf78db7.jpg

BikesEtc026_zps03a296a5.jpg

BikesEtc033_zpsc684eacf.jpg

BikesEtc011_zps07fbd954.jpg

Re: Three - Way Convertible

ratTED said:
This project was inspired by a trailer I saw online. I just imitated the design for the frame and really cheaply. I bought a couple sticks of electrical EMT conduit along with (4) 90 degree bends, and welded it to form a box. I got two 4" angle brackets, cut them in half, and welded them to the frame rails for wheel mounts. Mounted the flatbed with (6) single conduit clips. Then I fabricated a swivel joint to connect the hitch on my Schwinn El Camino. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=69825 Painted it black and added some vintage 20" rear fenders & braces.
BikesEtc010_zps0209d6b1.jpg

(1) I can use it as a flat bed...
The wheels are quick release, and the tow bar is bolted to the inside of the frame and is removable. For storage, the whole thing with the exception of the wood box comes apart with just a few bolts.
BikesEtc013_zps5743c132.jpg

(2) Add the box I built ( inspired by pick up truck side boards) with a tailgate for my cooler or dog...
BikesEtc015_zpsc5c70bb0.jpg

BikesEtc017_zpseff339d2.jpg

BikesEtc012_zps14c93ab0.jpg

(3) Bolt on one, or two steel car top carrier rails to haul my other bikes.
BikesEtc022_zpsedf78db7.jpg

BikesEtc026_zps03a296a5.jpg

BikesEtc033_zpsc684eacf.jpg

BikesEtc011_zps07fbd954.jpg

Nice bike hauler

Latest posts

Back