Sidebolt - WBO 2017

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the brakes. Saw the drums on there with lines coming from where the slave cyclinders in the wheels would be, then hardlines run on the frame to the rear, then i saw the master cylinder and brake lever. Awesome. Are you planning a proprtioning valve to help with front/rear bias? I doubt you will have any issues with that though, hard to tell if you will be able to lock them up or not. Would leave a fat skidmark if you could!

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the positive comments. :)

I rode it out of the garage and I think it's going to actually be 'ridable'... sort of.

It's not very stable, or should I say, I'm not very stable on it. I'll see if I can get a video of me riding it out of the garage. Does anyone know if the 'Upload a File' button works for video, or is it just for photos? :39:

Glen.

Thanks for the positive comments. :)

I rode it out of the garage and I think it's going to actually be 'ridable'... sort of.

It's not very stable, or should I say, I'm not very stable on it. I'll see if I can get a video of me riding it out of the garage. Does anyone know if the 'Upload a File' button works for video, or is it just for photos? :39:

Glen.
I think you have to upload it first to a video hosting site such as Youtube or Photobucket,...then use the 'media' link above to show it here.
That's a beast , huh? What'd you build it out of .old playground equipment.? Tubing looks like what you might see on a heavy industrial swing set, or something..

:thumbsup:

If you did think about painting this shrimp...
I'd spray this with a can of that paint that looks like granite. Because it seems to need the heavy stone look... kinda lightweight looking...

Guitarl.

I think you have to upload it first to a video hosting site such as Youtube or Photobucket,...then use the 'media' link above to show it here.
That's a beast , huh? What'd you build it out of .old playground equipment.? Tubing looks like what you might see on a heavy industrial swing set, or something..

Thanks, yeah, I thought I'd have to load to Youtube or something so that's what I'll do.

Frame is a combiation of old bike frames and exercise equipment.

Glen.

Very cool!
Sounds like you might be losing a fair amount of power through the drivetrain by the noise? Might be better switching to derailleur pulleys instead of the rubber bushes maybe?

Your going to rule the roads on that thing, she's a beast!

I don't think it'll be getting much road action... to hard to handle and I'll probably just end up running over someone.

Very cool!
Sounds like you might be losing a fair amount of power through the drivetrain by the noise? Might be better switching to derailleur pulleys instead of the rubber bushes maybe?

You're definately right, but I don't have any derailleurs and I'm not going to buy any. In fact, I'm basically calling it done and will probably just brush some house paint on there and stick it in the finished section.

Because I'm searching for somewhere else to live, and I have no idea where that might be, I've been getting rid of stuff (such as giving all my bikes and parts to @Endlesschain ) and Sidebolt will have to go. So I'll be trying to sell it and advertising it as car parts. I have 5 x 1936 Chev wheels with hubcaps as well as the front axle and some other parts. A buyer might not want to take it as a bike and just want the parts.

So I have a question Luke... if I 'finish' Sidebolt to my satisfaction and put it up in the finished thread, then it sells and I no longer have it, is it still a valid entry?

Glen.

I don't think it'll be getting much road action... to hard to handle and I'll probably just end up running over someone.

You're definately right, but I don't have any derailleurs and I'm not going to buy any. In fact, I'm basically calling it done and will probably just brush some house paint on there and stick it in the finished section.

Because I'm searching for somewhere else to live, and I have no idea where that might be, I've been getting rid of stuff (such as giving all my bikes and parts to @Endlesschain ) and Sidebolt will have to go. So I'll be trying to sell it and advertising it as car parts. I have 5 x 1936 Chev wheels with hubcaps as well as the front axle and some other parts. A buyer might not want to take it as a bike and just want the parts.

So I have a question Luke... if I 'finish' Sidebolt to my satisfaction and put it up in the finished thread, then it sells and I no longer have it, is it still a valid entry?

Glen.
It should be a valid entry Glen, because it was unfinished when the build off started, and you finished it during the time frame of the build off. And you proved it could be 'ridden' and 'pedaled'.....:grin:

Good luck on your move / relocation. Hope you will stay in touch with us 'ratters'....

...and, I love these videos for the sheer fact that I can now put that accent with your humorous comments!

Accent o_O What accent :39:. Crikey mate, you must've something wrong with your ears :rolleyes:.

Anyway, I was thinking about Lukes suggestion of derailleur pulleys instead of the rubber grommet things. I do have one that was on the top originally so I put that back on...

074_ChainGuide.jpg

I then remembered what I said in the walkaround video about not using the gears, so I decided to take one of the pulleys off the drive side derailleur and just use the derailleur as a tensioner...

075_ChainTension.jpg

I found an old curtain rail hanger and bent it to use with the pulley...

076_DerailleurPulley.jpg

Welded it on and looks like it will work...

077_DerailleurPulley.jpg

I'll test it tomorrow.

Glen.

Glen.
It should be a valid entry Glen, because it was unfinished when the build off started, and you finished it during the time frame of the build off. And you proved it could be 'ridden' and 'pedaled'.....:grin:

Good luck on your move / relocation. Hope you will stay in touch with us 'ratters'....

Looking forward to seeing if the derailleur gears make a difference!

I understand you may be moving and need to finish this now, but cant help thinking if ever there was a pedal bike in need of a motor - this is it. Would be awesome with an old maytag or hit and mis engine...

I understand you may be moving and need to finish this now, but cant help thinking if ever there was a pedal bike in need of a motor - this is it. Would be awesome with an old maytag or hit and mis engine...

Yeah, I've been told that. I gave my other bikes and parts to @Endlesschain and when he came to pick them up, he looked at Sidebolt and said "what a monster, it's needs an engine" or words to that effect.

It would be cool with an engine but then I wouldn't be able to ride it on NZ roads without getting it registered and certified... unless the engine is less than 50cc (http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/factsheets/43/docs/43-mopeds.pdf). Having said that, I'm not sure it's going to be that 'rideable' anyway... certainly won't be riding it up any inclines. I suppose a little 48cc engine would help it get up the hills. :39:

Hopefully, wherever I end up will have a garage and be flat... then I wouldn't need to sell Sidebolt and wouldn't need an engine.

Glen.

Latest posts

Back