SIDEBOLT

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im drooling, update update

The parts...

022_Parts.jpg

Glen.

That explains it, I cant believe I missed your thread! So much epicness happening. Those wheels are so sick:eek::thumbsup: Sweet cad work too, wish I could do that:(

Thanks. Yeah, I've been wanting to do a car wheel build for a while and the 1936 Chev wheels are so cool, I just have to do it. :)

And as far as the cad is concerned, I did a course in animation a few years back so I use software called MAYA. It's more of a character modeling and animation thing though and not the best for designing bikes. I never kept it up and have forgotten how to use it properly, but I only needed the basics for visualisation.

Looks like you can make it work Glen!
Also looks like a lot of work too... Wish I could drive on over and give you a length of spare steel.

Luke.

Yep, should work... and heaps of work. :arghh:

I wish you could drive over too... darn that Tasman Sea:aggressive:

Glen.

Time to start welding up that parallelogram.

The brake wheel cylinders that I ordered just last week arrived. Actually came on Tuesday but I was out when the courier visited, so had to go and pick them up today. Really impressed with the speedy delivery :thumbsup:

024_BrakeCylinder.jpg

I didn't notice until I uploaded the photo how I placed it on the invoice... right over the “MADE IN U.S.A” so only MAD is showing. Is it trying to tell me something o_O

Glen.

:13: Yikes... page 3 again. Sure doesn't take long to fall behind o_O

So anyway, I decided to disassemble the brake master cylinder. When I got to removing the front plug, it was so burred that I had to file the flats to get a socket on...

025_MasterCylinder.jpg

026_MasterCylinder.jpg

It wouldn't budge with the breaker bar and I don't have a vice to mount it in, so I wedged it under the corner of the house and added extra length to the handle for leverage...

027_MasterCylinder.jpg

It bit of gentle yanking on the bar and it was free and taken apart...

028_MasterCylinder.jpg

I should be able to get a kit for it and and it'll be sweet... hopefully.:rolleyes:

I was holding off on starting to assemble the frame until I knew that the brakes were on track, so now that they are, it's time to get cracking. :aggressive:

Glen.

Safety Shmayfty;) get to assembling!:grin:

Touché... yeah, it's gonna take some doing I think. :39:

Sweet master cylinder tho.

Interestingly, I purchased the master cylinder seperately from the other 1936 Chev parts and the bloke said he thought it was a mid 1940's one, but after researching the casting number, it turns out to be 1936 or 1937... so a perfect match for the drum brakes. Serendipity :dance2:

Glen.

Touché... yeah, it's gonna take some doing I think. :39:

Interestingly, I purchased the master cylinder seperately from the other 1936 Chev parts and the bloke said he thought it was a mid 1940's one, but after researching the casting number, it turns out to be 1936 or 1937... so a perfect match for the drum brakes. Serendipity :dance2:

Glen.
Ha:grin: sometimes things are just meant to be:thumbsup:

I purchased a cylinder for my chopper,it's still sitting in the bag. I was thinking why can't I mount that on....:21:
You and I chatting about brakes,I jump to your thread and !!!!!:43:

I carefully scraped away the old stickers off the tubing but think I might've scratched them... do you think anyone will notice o_O

029_ScrapedStickers.jpg

Perhaps I can polish them out :39:

:dontmentionit: Nah... reckon I'll sand it all back to bare metal. Might even leave it bare metal and use this fancy “boiled linseed oil” stuff I've been reading so much about.

:whistle:

Glen.

Made a start on the fork...

030_Fork.jpg

I did a couple of tack welds and realised how much welding I'm in for. I don't enjoy welding... and I'm bad at it :cry:

The flap disc I used on my grinder to get the paint off is too coarse and has really scratched the metal badly. I read somewhere about removing paint with a wire brush on an angle grinder, so I might do the rest with one of those... probably way less scratching :39:

Glen.

Wire cup brush is your friend!
Just make sure you wear long sleeves and eye protection!

Luke.

Yeah... going to the local community garden for a wee bit tomorrow so I'll pick one up on the way home. Hopefully Bunnings will have the size I need.

Glen.

Latest posts

Back