Sidetrack Space: Build Off Highlights and Chat.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am most impressed this year by the shear number of first time or "it's been a long time" builders on the forum!! I started to count, but don't want to leave anyone out so I quit counting. It has to be close to 25-30% !

The OddJob Award for the most RaT-isfying RusT-ified Rat Rods (aka 'The OJs') will continue in it's 5th consecutive year! As was the case last year in BO #14, there will be awards for my favorite Rusty and Shiny RaTs in RRB BO #15.
In my case , first off, this build has been rattling around in my head for a few years , Covid in the UK has shortened my working week and lessened distractions . Lastly and most importantly I've been sneaking about for years looking on RRB . It has entertained and educated me in equal measures . If I wanted to do something and couldn't figure it out , or just plain fishing for ideas , I looked here . It's time to join in better or worse , I'm not the best welder , I'm not the best engineer , I've not got unlimited budget, tools or knowledge, I'm not even concerned if the bike places when it's finished oddly enough . I'm just here to push myself to do the best I can with what I can , If I end up with something like the bike in my head, and it don't ride like a cow and anyone else digs it ...bonus .
So thanks for having me guys , thanks for all the ideas , let's see where this goes ,the ride is a fun one :)

... looking on RRB . It has entertained and educated me in equal measures . If I wanted to do something and couldn't figure it out , or just plain fishing for ideas , I looked here . It's time to join in better or worse , I'm not the best welder , I'm not the best engineer , I've not got unlimited budget, tools or knowledge, I'm not even concerned if the bike places when it's finished oddly enough . I'm just here to push myself to do the best I can with what I can , If I end up with something like the bike in my head, and it don't ride like a cow and anyone else digs it ...bonus .
^^This^^
:thumbsup:

I am most impressed this year by the shear number of first time or "it's been a long time" builders on the forum!! I started to count, but don't want to leave anyone out so I quit counting. It has to be close to 25-30% !

The OddJob Award for the most RaT-isfying RusT-ified Rat Rods (aka 'The OJs') will continue in it's 5th consecutive year! As was the case last year in BO #14, there will be awards for my favorite Rusty and Shiny RaTs in RRB BO #15.

Don't forget to update the Prize Pool thread.

I'm not the best welder , I'm not the best engineer , I've not got unlimited budget, tools or knowledge, I'm not even concerned if the bike places when it's finished oddly enough . I'm just here to push myself to do the best I can with what I can
That describes me to a "T". I did very well my first time out, I'm sure you can too!

I'm not the best welder , I'm not the best engineer , I've not got unlimited budget, tools or knowledge, I'm not even concerned if the bike places when it's finished oddly enough . I'm just here to push myself to do the best I can with what I can , If I end up with something like the bike in my head, and it don't ride like a cow and anyone else digs it ...bonus .
I’ll be in the same boat there.

I like making stuff. This forum helps me get to an end point instead of getting bored with a project and parking it.

I like making stuff. This forum helps me get to an end point instead of getting bored with a project and parking it.

Agreed, which is partly why after my parked project from BO14 Vindication Procrastination has not been finished yet. My BO15 build Blue Dream is on-track (pun intended) and not nearly as labor intensive, however sticking around will motivate me to chip away at it while doing my other thing and getting people on and stoked about bikes. Blue Dream is something I could finish in a few hours when all of the parts are collected. Vindication Procrastination is one of those things that is better off as an idea that mellows and develops with age and even parts collected along the way.

I have a few hundred in coins LOL and once a year, in October, it is the worlds's saving day, on which day I can exchange them in the bank for no fee. :D So I might get me some cool frame this fall, if I am alive and well of course.
I use Amazon on occasion for parts and Coinstar gives up 100% of what you drop in it for Amazon purchases. It gives you a code and what is not used immediately gets banked for later purchases.

I use Amazon on occasion for parts and Coinstar gives up 100% of what you drop in it for Amazon purchases. It gives you a code and what is not used immediately gets banked for later purchases.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? I did not know of this wizardry you mention

That's very cool. I didn't know Coinstar so got curious and looked it up. A hefty fee, but yours is a great hack. We don't have them over here though.
I used to have a bank account in a bank that had a coin cashing machine - what coins I dropped in I got a receipt for. I could have it paid to me, or added to my account, if I am not mistaken. When I moved I switched to the local branch and they don't have that.

I'm impressed with the sheer volume of participants. Are the summer build-offs usually this big?

It's not just the Summer BO, it is THE Build Off!!!! :D All other build offs that we run here are ancillary to the granddaddy of them all.
And to answer your question, Yes, they were even bigger 6 or so years ago with as many as 200+ entries.
We usually have about a 50% completion ratio no matter the size though.

74 Total entries so far
20 Class 2 Entries now!!!

Bobby Stillz got the radness! Check his valve caps
20200516_141722.jpg

https://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/pink-panther.111011/page-2#post-1136584

Latest posts

Back