Sidewalker Scoot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't built anything in a while, life's been busy! I do like scooters, we have a few. I figured you guys might be getting tired of looking at bikes. :lol: ... I came across this one cheap (new $300..paid $99). We use them if we want to get around in a city (downtown), or wherever there's going to be a lot of walking, where a bike wouldn't be practical. Obviously slower than a bike, but faster than walking. These things can be VERY tiring, if not set up right. The key is to have the 1) footboard as "low" as you can get it. 2) high quality bearings. 3) high pressure tires... So this one had a footboard that was 6 inches high, 40psi tires, and decent bearings that were just to tight...Now it has a footboard that's 3.25 inches high, 90psi tires and tubes, and the bearings adjusted right. The way it is now it's very easy to kick for a number of miles, without tiring out...I know it's NOT a bike, it's just something we use when there are to many people or to many stops to make.

Started with this
T2eC16JsE9swmwBWBRQ5tZd4fg60_3.jpg

Cut the frame and measured how low to put the front, made a sleeve.
IMG_0003-Copy-1.jpg

IMG_0001-Copy2.jpg

Welded in place... new tires and tubes 80-90psi
IMG_0004-Copy.jpg

Made some shackles from a gate hinge to lower the rear. (designed some new dropouts, didn't like them, and needed to use the scooter that weekend sooo..)
IMG_0004-2.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

Tested it over the weekend. Worked perfectly, handled nice, and was very smooth and easy to kick with the new high pressure tires and the almost 3" lower footboard.
IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0004-3.jpg

Broke it down, did the body work.
IMG_0001-2.jpg

I like green primer..It's the NEW flat black (to me).
IMG_0002-4.jpg

All finished.......
IMG_0003-2.jpg

IMG_0002-Copy.jpg

IMG_0001-Copy-1.jpg

OH! I forgot. It FOLDS.
IMG_0001-3.jpg

Slick scooter, Larry! :D I hope you build another bike soon, your style is cool! :mrgreen:

This one is called a Diggler. i rented it for the day in Lincoln New Hampshire, rode the ski lift up to the top of the mountian and rode the scooter down all day long, it was awesome

This was I bought off of ebay a few years ago

I remember when that one was on ebay....I may have cost you a few dollars more! :lol:
bikecollectordave said:

This was I bought off of ebay a few years ago

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Slick scooter, Larry! :D I hope you build another bike soon, your style is cool! :mrgreen:

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
dang, that is sweet.

+1, nice work, Larry! Cool idea to use hinges as dropouts!

IMG_0001-Copy-1.jpg
8)

sdframe said:
Wow. I may try one. Who needs pedals, anyway?

Thanks for the kind words guys, considering it's not a bike. :lol: And Nick, I'm still going to finish my "Flatlander" bike for the HPV festival in the fall.

sdframe, I'm certainly NOT giving up bikes! This is just another expression of my two wheel fascination. This is a totally different feeling. Different muscles get worked. And at 60 yrs. old I decided to get in better shape (without going to a gym). This year has been really busy for me, so there's no REAL time to build anything. But I am forcing myself to find the time to ride more. One day scootin, one day biking....We'll see how it works.

OH! I just picked this up!...It's rated as the fastest scooter money can buy (not with me on it :roll: )....I gotta tell ya, this thing will out coast or go faster downhill, better than ANY bike I've ever owned.
IMG_0004-4.jpg

Latest posts

Back