Simple chop to a cantilever frame

Sep 21, 2006
7,718
1,308
Kansas
locojoe.com
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's simple to do and doesn't require good welding skills or additional tubing. Cut the two cantilever tubes away from the down tube and away from the seat tube. Then using one of those ratcheting tie-down straps, wrap it around the seat tube and the rear dropouts and tightened it up until the seat tube is pulled back and resting on the rear fender/brake brace that's between the rear stays. Where all the tubing is now making contact weld it back together on the underside of the bike and then cut off the extra cantilever tubes that are now extending past the down tube. Leave the bearing cups and crank in place when manipulating the bike. The bottom bracket is the weak spot and will collapse instead of the rest of the bike bending.
It makes a subtle change in the look of the bike and gives you the option of a low-rider because it actually lowers the bike or add chopper forks long enough to get the bottom bracket back up to normal height.





 
Last edited:
Feb 14, 2008
2,355
5
Olympia,WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just don't know what to say either. what does that have to do with bending a bike frame. oh, now i got it. take a tie down an put it around your wife an tighten till she bends, is that forward or backwards? honey, wheres my tie down straps

Outlaw :D
 
Sep 21, 2006
7,718
1,308
Kansas
locojoe.com
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bring.doom said:
Hey this is a great tip, this will be the first thing that is done to my bike. I was trying to think of how I can run my seat further back, this seems like the antidote.
Just rememer it's more of an asthetic chop. You're shortening the bike some.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aka_locojoe said:
bring.doom said:
Hey this is a great tip, this will be the first thing that is done to my bike. I was trying to think of how I can run my seat further back, this seems like the antidote.
Just rememer it's more of an asthetic chop. You're shortening the bike some.
That is true, but it would also put my feet out infront a little more to wouldnt it?
 
Sep 21, 2006
7,718
1,308
Kansas
locojoe.com
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bring.doom said:
aka_locojoe said:
bring.doom said:
Hey this is a great tip, this will be the first thing that is done to my bike. I was trying to think of how I can run my seat further back, this seems like the antidote.
Just rememer it's more of an asthetic chop. You're shortening the bike some.
That is true, but it would also put my feet out infront a little more to wouldnt it?
Yes but it doesn't change the distance to the crank.
 
Aug 28, 2008
665
2
56
Manteca California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
locojoe, on the pictures of the red one with the "springer", where did you get those handlebars ? I want to do the chop on my 26" but I love the look of those handlebars too, got the big "moon bars" on it now and they come too far back..
 
Sep 21, 2006
7,718
1,308
Kansas
locojoe.com
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
old school 64 said:
locojoe, on the pictures of the red one with the "springer", where did you get those handlebars ? I want to do the chop on my 26" but I love the look of those handlebars too, got the big "moon bars" on it now and they come too far back..
I really don't recall. Probably just pulled them out of my parts box at the time. If I had to guess I'd say they come off of some 3spd touring/lightweight Schwinn.