Singletracked's crash course in moto bicycles.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really just a crankcase breather. I will either run a hose off it to the bottom of the bike or route it up to the aircleaner housing (that I still have to build) similar to stock. But yes it is necessary to have and vent the crankcase. I am excited too!!

3ac366838b7e0912b12ae90132a1a45d.jpg

My fuel tank cleaner sealer came in!
I've used POR15 products before, with good results. High quality stuff. I got the delux set for this tank but also for my 71 Honda sl350 tank that needs some love too. Should be plenty to do both

I got some time today so I made gaskets for the intake manifold. I used a EGR gasket from a Chevy 4.3 for the exhaust gasket.
I wanted to see it run and hear it.
I rigged a bottle to feed the carb cause the tank is drying (will be for 4days).
Here's a link to my Instagram where I have a video, hope you can see it.

https://instagram.com/p/BKrQRlwBUk8/

Sounds good.
I can't help but think, that jackshaft needs some danger spikes. You know, like crater face had on his car in the drag race along the California river in Grease.

So my very first ride was lack luster and uneventful.
I was having some lean run issues at high rpm and the clutch wasn't engaging all the way. Speed was low and acceleration wasn't happening. It was starting great though. I made some adjustments to the float and cleaned out the main jet. That helped a lot. I learned there was a break in period for the clutch. I've had about 10 miles on it now and it works really well. Them motor had plenty power and is topping out and getting to the end of the gear range.
I took it to garage night last night at the local vintage cycle shop. It was quite the hit. A friend rode it almost the whole night lol. Till it was running out of fuel mid-late throttle.
I pulled the bowl off again and found a piece of crud in the float needle port. I haven't tested it since but it should solve that issue.
ffb22ac5d346ff3c63828a5418c57482.jpg

Carb linkage setup
5b27bcb216caa6110698a066dd043773.jpg

I figured out my fuel issue. The angle of the petcock isn't ideal but when the air is worked out of the line, the flow is just fine. I've ran it down to less than half a tank and no problems. The carb got a re seal and a new denso plug. It hasn't ran better. I've probably put 20 miles on it I don't think I can stop riding it, it's so fun!
It pulls up any hill at 30. A bug I had today was 5 of the 6 rear chainring bolts fell out. They where not lotite-ed and I had them installed the wrong way. My fault. Luckily they are standard MTB type chainring bolts so I had a grip of them. Also i fabbed up a quick "velocity stack" looking thing.
80507ab31f43f7145b249ee914426d91.jpg

e93f296a98f89c1457647e72f0cc1ec3.jpg

99c7fc0ac262c0ad60284965fad8686c.jpg

I figured if I want to run a air filter I could zip tie a piece of foam around the opening. I like it open tho

You could put a foam filter behind the mesh.

Edit: I see the mesh is welded.

Yea totally. Probably will do that actually. I would have to unbolt it but that's easy with the ball end Allen keys

Not much to update at the moment. I did add a air filter in my velocity stack. Just used a green scouring pad. I think It does help with fuel delivery by creating some suction before the carb butterfly. Before, on
hard runs the fuel seemed to not recover well. The float bowl doesn't vent very well.
I did do a nasty burnout next to a Prius last night.

Last edited:
I figured out my fuel issue. The angle of the petcock isn't ideal but when the air is worked out of the line, the flow is just fine. I've ran it down to less than half a tank and no problems. The carb got a re seal and a new denso plug. It hasn't ran better. I've probably put 20 miles on it I don't think I can stop riding it, it's so fun!
It pulls up any hill at 30. A bug I had today was 5 of the 6 rear chainring bolts fell out. They where not lotite-ed and I had them installed the wrong way. My fault. Luckily they are standard MTB type chainring bolts so I had a grip of them. Also i fabbed up a quick "velocity stack" looking thing.
80507ab31f43f7145b249ee914426d91.jpg

e93f296a98f89c1457647e72f0cc1ec3.jpg

99c7fc0ac262c0ad60284965fad8686c.jpg

I figured if I want to run a air filter I could zip tie a piece of foam around the opening. I like it open tho
Hey u can get a PZ19 carb with filter for 20 bucks off Amazon. I've them on two Briggs and a Honda gx100. They work great!

Attachments

• WP_20161008_15_58_18_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161008_15_58_18_Pro.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 293

Latest posts

Back