Skiptooth chain masterlink removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a couple different tools made for popping the plate out of the masterlink. The new style chains I've worked with simply have a clip that slides over the plate, so I've never invested in a specific tool for this. Is it OK to use needle-nose plyers? This is my first skiptooth chain, is there anything else I should know before getting started.

I bow the chain a little at the link it lets it off those seats. Hang on lemme find a better picture these two ridges are holding that keeper. If you bow that link you will be able to free it. I have one in the cricket cage if you want me to make a video
s-l400.jpg

This actually got a bit intense. I got my son involved, let him work on it for a while. After he gave up and walked away I gave it a careful looking over and realized the plate was nearly there. Perserverence may be the best lubricant in the world!
Thanks again!

This actually got a bit intense. I got my son involved, let him work on it for a while. After he gave up and walked away I gave it a careful looking over and realized the plate was nearly there. Perserverence may be the best lubricant in the world!
Thanks again!
yeah I skipped the working those roller bearings until all the rust dust cloud was gone part

Latest posts

Back