BLACKBIRD (Skylark Convertible)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made both fenders (front and rear) deeper than the original Bluebird/Skylark fenders for a couple of reasons.

First because they need a little extra material to allow for imperfections when they're removed from the mold. But I also added even more than that just for the option of keeping them a little beefier than stock for custom applications other than the Elgins. That's the same logic for making the duck tail into a mullet! :D For this bike I'm going to try to strike a balance somewhere in between stock and custom.

These can actually fit over 29ers tires too!

To get a nice smooth radius along the trimmed edge, I first took the bulk of it off with a belt sander and then hand sanded it with a curved sanding block.
IMG_1191.JPG

Here it is sanded and in the first coat of black primer.
100_7073.JPG

Last edited:
Looks a little like Billy Ray Cyrus with sideburns. :D

Nah, looks great with that fork!!!!!

Some of the rusty parts had already been media blasted early on. If I had left them alone I would probably be more inclined to run with the tried and true rusty rat routine but they couldn't be left like they were.

100_6590.JPG

IMG_0929.JPG

To paint the hubs and the crank I broke out the triangle painting jig again. Turns out it is pretty versitile with a little creative bailing wire lacing!

IMG_1207.JPG

The gloss black was planned from the start so no need to change at this point.

IMG_1208.JPG

Now that I'm seeing some paint going on I'm reinspired to try to get as much of my original paint scheme finished in the next three weeks as I can. Who knows, maybe it will go quicker and easier than I'm thinking it will.:39:

Didn't have much time at all today but even the smallest amount of progress is still progress.

The original 1936 Skylark dogleg crank and chainring is done.
100_7083.JPG

The threads were taped over so that no paint interfered with the assembly.
100_7082.jpg

Last edited:
Did a quick mock up with the black primer fenders just before dark this evening.

Fenders in primer fit.jpg

Kinda liking the black. I may keep heading down that path for now.:39: It all has to be stripped and primed at some point anyway.

I like the black, with the natural patina parts the way it is. Kind of a 'dark side' Bluebird. ;)

Speaking of birds....:rolleyes:

I like the black, with the natural patina parts the way it is. Kind of a 'dark side' Bluebird. ;)

With Halloween around the corner maybe you could adopt a little blackbird buddy to compliment the primer going on. Bird is the word...Build is looking great as usual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With Halloween around the corner maybe you could adopt a little blackbird buddy to compliment the primer going on. Bird is the word...Build is looking great as usual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oh, I 'flipped' him a bird awhile back. Waiting to see if it makes the cut. :wondering::hi::wink1:

Looking great. Been watching the fender process so long that i forgot what the build plan was :D . It all flows very well.

More a raven than a lark now! I think that will look better than chrome.

Golly gee willikers !
Gee, thanks

SkyDarkLark
Oh, I 'flipped' him a bird awhile back. Waiting to see if it makes the cut. :wondering::hi::wink1:
Shhhh

Looking great. Been watching the fender process so long that i forgot what the build plan was :D . It all flows very well.
Yeah, me too! Finally starting to have fun building again.
It's sexy...
giphy.gif
This makes me a little queasy. :shake::21:
More a raven than a lark now! I think that will look better than chrome.
If the chrome had been good I would've kept it. But I'm liking the black too!

Latest posts

Back