BO15 Skyrider AKA "The American Gentleman"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not sure what the name will be just yet so we will call it Skyrider for now. I picked up this old rusty pile at an antique store for $40 and I'm going to build it from ground up.

Has some cool mini apes that are definitely getting used. Has a cool messenger seat that will go to my parts bin in favor of something cooler. Have a bunch of stuff ordered for it but I'll be making some changes myself too. I did manage to get it blown apart at work today and got the rims and fenders cleaned up a bit. The rear fender looks like it was left on it's side for a long time as there's some rust that won't come off on one side but the other side is fine. So I might paint them or leave the rust and send it.

More to come as parts roll in and progress gets made.
IMG_20200519_090325602.jpg
IMG_20200518_214803065.jpg

Last edited:
Tonight's teaser picture. I took the bike to work with me and went in early so I could use the mud sink as we call it. This is before I started cleaning it. I'll post the after shot in the morning. It doesn't even look like the same wheel. Has a very nice Bendix RB2 hub in the back but I think the grease is original to the bike so it will all be torn apart, cleaned, repacked, and reassembled. I also found out the crank is bent so I'll be replacing that.
IMG_20200519_091210255.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered some new stuff for the build... A cool retro LED light set
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400.png

and a very nice triple spring leather seat.
s-l400 (2).jpg

Got it mostly reassembled with a few new bolts and such. Had to straighten the rear fender and rack a little from where I had to mutilate a bolt getting it out but all is good now. Rims and fenders look so much better.
IMG_20200520_103259104.jpg
IMG_20200520_115931743_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200520_115938612_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200520_115931743_HDR.jpg

Waiting is the hardest part...
5481613a60aa1.jpeg

Ordered the new crank arms and bottom bracket (bearings and such) today.

After all why would you spend $200 on a new bike when you can buy a vintage bike for $40, dump $200 into it, and have a bike worth $37.50? I try not to think about the money and rather focus on how I want it to look. I want it a certain way, a certain style, a certain flow, and that's just what it's gonna cost. Do you other builders set a budget for your builds or just make it rain?

I consider the entertainment value along with the actual value of the parts and bike. I spend less when I work on bikes than I do when going to see a movie. And I usually have a better time working on bikes. Quality time.

After all why would you spend $200 on a new bike when you can buy a vintage bike for $40, dump $200 into it, and have a bike worth $37.50? I try not to think about the money and rather focus on how I want it to look. I want it a certain way, a certain style, a certain flow, and that's just what it's gonna cost. Do you other builders set a budget for your builds or just make it rain?

That is exactly how I feel - yes it would take some time, effort and money (usually more than expected), but it will be tailored to my taste and needs.
I don't set a budget, but I try to get it done as inexpensive as possible and reuse parts.
A custom is worth 37,50 to other people, but to the one who built it to suit their needs it is priceless, especially considering you normally can't just go out and buy it. My "dream build" is an E-cruiser, but if I wanted to buy one I would have to pay 2-3 times more and would probably still have to swap parts.

That is exactly how I feel - yes it would take some time, effort and money (usually more than expected), but it will be tailored to my taste and needs.
I don't set a budget, but I try to get it done as inexpensive as possible and reuse parts.
A custom is worth 37,50 to other people, but to the one who built it to suit their needs it is priceless, especially considering you normally can't just go out and buy it. My "dream build" is an E-cruiser, but if I wanted to buy one I would have to pay 2-3 times more and would probably still have to swap parts.

I just find what looks good and find the best deal I can get on it. Some parts just don't go cheap and I'm okay with paying a bit more for quality where I have to. Money comes and goes but old bikes last forever. This bike is probably 50 or 60 years old but it's still here.

Working quickly on getting the guts cleaned

Waiting is the hardest part...View attachment 121710

I like to use what I have, and buy what I need. I want the vision to drive the build.

I like to use what I have, and buy what I need. I want the vision to drive the build.
Same here but the grips I have are too BMX for this build, the seat is too boring for this build, the crank is too bent for this build, the bearings and bottom bracket hardware are too chewed up for this build due to the bent crank, and the lights I ordered I don't need but hey they look cool. I am trying to reuse as much of the original bike as I can and only replace what is broken, bent, or ugly. Then add my own touches.

Isn't it a challenge and great pleasure to combine parts for hundreds of $ with parts for almost nothing into a perfect amalgamation of metal and motion?
It is but it's good fun and when I'm done it will be a great bike for many years to come.

That light set is cool!
My wife and I get most of our entertainment / enjoyment out of our hobbies. We don't go out much, except when we can tie in riding bikes, hiking, or playing / listening to music. So I guess we see the value in our hobbies in more than just the dollars and cents.

She enjoys and finds reward in her gardening and home design projects, and I get to express my creative side building bikes and making music. I've always maintained a part - time job besides my regular career to supplement my income for 'fun stuff'. I've always had a yen for the old days, nostalgia if you will, and for some reason, rusty stuff just turns my crank (not evident in this year's build for me, but it's still there!) so this site checks off so many boxes in that regard! :grin:

Waiting is the hardest part...View attachment 121710

A bit of both, but I’m building them too keep normally so I want it the way I want to ride it. The few I’ve sold I’ve broken even in but no real profit!

Latest posts

Back