So confused about 16" Krate tires...please help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All, I come from the folding bike world where we have 16" tires either in 305mm or 349mm size. I wanted to build a vintage folder with the smallest possible vintage wheel size which I believe to be 317mm. Is this correct?

What I really want is to build a wheelset with made-in-the-US rims and tires, and apparently the US has not made tires in a while so my best bet I think is using disc hubs and Krate rims and tires. Problem is I don't have a clue of whether those rims are 317mm or different, or which manufacturers to search for when it comes to both made-in-the-US rims and tires :/

I have also seen references to s-7 16" but I thought that s-7 was a much bigger size, no?

Can someone clarify these things for me? And yes it's a funky project but I want to see if I can pull it off.

S7 isn't so much a size, as a specific Schwinn rim type. They came in 26", 24", 20", and 16" (I think that's it). The ISO for a 16" S7 is 317mm, I believe. Width is indicated as a fraction (1 x 3/4" vs 1.75").

You would have much better tire choices with an 16 x iso305mm rim.

Latest posts

Back