BO15 SPRING FEVER

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very nearly finished this build and I'm already planning, and accumulating parts for my next build, which I'll probably just continue sharing here. Only one entry per class I know, but I'll just have to enter whatever bike I like the best in September. I'll probably have 10 to choose from by then. Bikes are what is helping maintain my sanity right now.

Anyway, let's continue with SPRING FEVER for the time being. I have lots to share because I have been tinkering away each night in the shop. After rigging up my powerbell, I decided to upgrade the shifter cover with some new build related decals. I figured the bell was a good way to ring in the spring, so that's the design I came up with. I had some of this leftover chrome vinyl from my stash for cutting raleigh chopper console decals. I also drew up a design to replace the normal sturmey archer sticker that would be on a sportshift shifter. Thought I would commemorate the 15 annual Rat Rod Build Off. It took me forever to remove the original decal. The size of the text was quite small on both stickers, so I was quite pleased that my cutter was able to get the detail without ripping the foil, and I was able to weed it without wrecking it. I only lost the middles of the 'B' on bikes. Phew!! I think it turned out all right. I have a whole box of NOS sturmey stuff and have a nice new cover. I thought I'd test it out on the ratty cover first to see if I liked it and then I would make up the good copy. After all the work, I think I might just keep the ratty one. The NOS cover might look too new.

IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0054.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 99
Beautifully cool work! What did you use to cut those stickers?

That bell is cool! Don't think I've seen one of those before this. Like the graphics too.

I ordered new tires for this build. The original Carlisle Zephyr Flyte tires were definitely showing their age, although the tubes are still doing their job. I found a cool set of VANS CULT tires at a Store in Ottawa, the nation's capitol. I ordered them online and domestic shipping had them at my door in a few days! Buying stuff from the US at this point is hit and miss for me with shipping, brokerage, and COVID delays. Anyway, the tires are just what I envisioned. I couldn't wait to get them on, and while I had the wheels off, I did a little truing as well.

IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0074.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0086.JPG
IMG_0087.JPG

I farted around with a few more accessories. I found a flashlite mount in my stash and a cool old chrome and black flashlight. I think it's the perfect accessory for a young boy out on his ride. Headlight in the dark, and a removable light to go and find the pocket change he lost earlier in the day by the old fishing bridge.

I also tried out the transistor radio in the NOS radio mount. I think it's cool too, but as much as I like accessories, I'm very cognizant of over-loading a bike with doo-dads. I think the PEEWEE bike is one of the few that gets away with it. I think I'm leaning toward keeping the light with the speedo.

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG
IMG_0085.JPG

My next task was tackling the chain guard. I had my name picked and I played around a bit on the computer to get a visual of what it could look like. I drove out to my dad's place to get some fine paint brushes. Part of me was hoping to pull off some crazy pin-striping, but I knew it would be difficult with the supplies I had. I've watched lots of pinstriping videos, and you have to have the right brush and paint. Anyway, I sat in one spot for 3 or 4 hours hand painting the guard with this tiny brush. I could barely get up when I was finished because my legs had fallen asleep in the crossed position. I liked the way the lines looked with nothing inside, but it still seemed empty, and my initial concept was to fill the space with some form of organic flowery spring-like motif. The next night I repeated the same leg numbing exercise while sitting on my shop floor with that tiny paint brush. I had a rough idea in my head, and I literally painted the design randomly from my head. I think I like it.... I still want to add some complementary lines on the forks. I might sit in a chair for that round. What do you guys think about the guard?

IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG

As you can see, the bike is very near completion. I have some more things to tinker with. I'm undecided about the kick stand. It's hard to find one long enough with the added thickness of the tires. I'd also like to do a custom head badge. Lots of time left to process the design in my head though. I'm letting it sit on the wall for a bit while I think about final touches. As I mentioned before, I'm already way into my next build in terms of a concept and acquiring parts. I think I'm just going to continue to share the next one in this same thread. I'm having so much fun with this build off that I don't want it to end. I'm going to go and spend some more time reading through the other threads now, which under normal circumstances, I never get the time to do.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    485.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0056.JPG
    IMG_0056.JPG
    487.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0094.JPG
    IMG_0094.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0096.JPG
    IMG_0096.JPG
    481.3 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    403.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_E0093.JPG
    IMG_E0093.JPG
    461.4 KB · Views: 101
Hmm. Haven't heard of them, I'll have to look em up

Edit: well they weren't there when I lived there, I worked half a block away. Definitely would have liked to check out their indoor bike/sk8 park.

Yeah, I had never heard of them before either. It was the only place I could find that had a set of those tires. They weren't cheap either. Even after I called and spoke to Steve about his misleading website that indicated the tires were maybe on sale. But, they came quick, and that was worth the money to me. I'm only 3 hours from Ottawa. Had tickets for Bluesfest in July this year, but sadly it has been cancelled.

That vinyl cutter is killer, but you've got some great detail painting skills too.
Love this build man!

Yeah I had tickets to. Been waiting a decade or two to see RageATM, huge Tom Morello fan
Yeah, RAGE was the big draw for me too. Had a hole trip planned with my brother and sister for my sister's bday. At least they signed on for next year.

Ratfink approved !! :rockout:

Latest posts

Back