Springer Nanner (Banana) Seat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
So you might want a Springer Nanner seat.... You first looked to see if you could buy one and didn't find one or found one for more than you were willing to pay....

Here is what you need to start making one.
Spring%20Nanner%201.jpg

A Nanner seat of your choice and a spring saddle of this type of design (This one is a Schwinn springer saddle from the late 50's).

You need to prepair them like so...
Spring%20Nanner%202.jpg

Skinned nanner

Cut everything so it mounts something like it is here.
Spring%20Nanner%203.jpg

More to come....

As you can see in the above picture I used the original seat pan as the coil spring mount points in the back of the seat.

I attached it in two places at the rear of the Nanner seat pan. Welded in the center (front of donor seat) of the Nanner and at the back on a U bracket I bent up and cut to shape.
Spring%20Nanner%205.jpg

Spring%20Nanner%206.jpg

Then I cut two pieces of metal to reconnect the front and rear of the donor seat frame.
Spring%20Nanner%207.jpg

I used the nanners seat post clamp bracket as the point to locate the pivot point of the front of the soon to be new under frame to the nanner seat.
Spring%20Nanner%2011.jpg

Spring%20Nanner%2012.jpg

Here is the newly stretched seat frame removed from the nanner seat pan.
Spring%20Nanner%208.jpg

Spring%20Nanner%209.jpg

I then welded in some cross braces so the new frame bars don't flex.
Spring%20Nanner%2014.jpg

Spring%20Nanner%2013.jpg

Here is how I dealt with mounting the springer nanner seat to the bike. Mine is welded on, but I am sure you could come up with a bolt on solution too.
Seat%20Support%201.jpg

Seat%20Support%203.jpg

Seat%20Support%207.jpg

This was the first test ride with it and I found out the the original seat springs were to weak and the seat pan bottomed out on the seat frame. So I needed stronger coil springs.
Phase%20One%201.jpg

DSCF0001_zps3e116a98.jpg

Uncle Stretch to the rescue with a pair of spring off of a John Deere tractor.

These also cause a few other issues that had to be addressed.
New%20Nanner%20Springs%201.jpg

New%20Nanner%20Springs%202.jpg

Most of these were with the lower mounting point for the springs.
New%20Nanner%20Springs%207.jpg

New%20Nanner%20Springs%208.jpg

I also ended up have to stiffen the donor seat pan because it was not stiff enough with the new springs.
New%20Nanner%20Springs%209.jpg

I cut and welded the seat post to make a laid back seat post so the nanner could be mounted.
New%20Nanner%20Springs%206.jpg

I hope these pictures and what I said helps you out if you choose to build one.

How long is that seat and where did you find one that long?
Been looking at mounting a banana to the Massif, but the dropouts are already pretty busy holding the disc brake.....I like the additional brace to the sissy bar.

Latest posts

Back