Springers...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to the traditional springer fork, are some better than others?
I see some sold by felt, Electra etc. that are much more expensive than the ones sold by
low rider places. Is there a quality difference? Do you get what you pay for?
Which ones do you like, and why?

Thanks
oct.

I guess there must be some difference between the different brands. I bought one that was advertised as being better than the Chinese made ones as it was made in Taiwan. It looks nice and all but when I rode my bike with it on there it flexed a lot and going around corners the tire would hit it. My bike came with one originally but it was bent and has bad chrome/rust. I've since taken the new one off and putting a triple tree on instead. I'll lose the cushioned ride but I'll live with it. Here's a thread showing the springer I bought - http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66581#p639611

I've got a little 20" springer on my son's bike like you would find on a lowrider. It moves a little. Not much in the way of suspension or travel. Just a spring and dampening bumper. I haven't stepped over a Felt Jerry Springer, but I have tried out the Abraham Lincoln. It's nice and plush, but tracks well. A little more travel than the traditional springer I believe. If you really want more travel over a traditional cruiser look, and a funky look to boot, I've seen people use a Girven Proflex fork on their cruiser, but that gives it a Klunker kind of vibe. As for looks, I've always been partial to the Monark double springer. Those just look too cool.
I guess it just comes down to what you want, can get ahold of, and can afford.

The only experience I've had, was with the cheapo low rider ones.
On one that I had, the steerer tube became so deformed where the stem wedge was being tightened against it. They just seemed to be cheaply made. I used a pyramid brand one on a bike I sold, that seemed a little better, but I didn't have it long before I sold it.
October

Latest posts

Back