Sprocket questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 44 tooth sprocket on my trike, but I have options for a 36 tooth or even smaller what will this do to my ride-ability if I make the sprocket larger? or smaller? in other words I don't know enough about gear ratios to discern which would be better, any enlightenment would be appreciated

God Bless America.

The gear ratio will determine several factors. Each direction yields certain gains and losses. A larger front sprocket gives more speed and requires less pedaling but you will need to pedal harder. Too small of a front sprocket and you will pedal like crazy to get nowhere. If you currently have a 44T up front, a 16-18 in the rear is going to be the middle ground. Depending on what kind of donor bikes you have access to, it is usually easier to just change the rear cog. Chances are you won't have 3 of the same front sprocket in different tooth counts laying around. So it also depends on whether or not you care what type, brand, or look of sprocket you use. There are several threads on this forum about this exact thing so a quick search might turn up a lot of info.http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/v ... io#p492773 here's one

Back