BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On one hand the nanner would look best slammed to the frame.
On the other hand the tractor spring would make it more rideable and more comfortable. Instead of messing with the spring why not simply use a triangle piece between the spring and the frame (one side bolts to the frame, one side to the spring)? The third side of the triangle, facing the tire could be shaped in a curve to mimic the tire curve. This is the easiest way to have the spring where and how you want it.
Wow, a lot of info, I am trying not to miss something... :D I think the lamp shroud for the nanner, the jet rear light on the rack and the curved front grill all work very well together. The front grill with the ring in the middle looks terrific!
I liked the Ruff seat pan, but I think I like the nanner more.
The faux Monark would take away from the wheels, I fear.

If the nanner is slammed on the frame then it has to either be too far forward or it covers and distracts from the rack tire hole. Plus it makes for a very knee high pedalling experience. On the other hand I don't want the seat too high up on a pedestal either. Trying to find that happy medium where all of the elements blend and accentuate each other.

The triangle mounting block would definitely be easier, but I feel that it would take away from the flow. I don't feel there would be a good transition from the brace to the rack.

I'm just beginning to play with the jet/streamlined rear rack and seat pieces. I like them, but we will see if they stay. I like the fairing grille, but it is still the most basic if mockups so far. The faux springer is just a test at this point. You may be right on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

1589727155456.png

Banana is king, and don't tell Skipton, but the flipped clubman bars are my fave so far.

Yeah, I think @Skipton would like that riding position too, but he would want the seat back a good bit further. :D

20200516_145609.jpg

Is there a chance the spring nanner could hit the wheel under compression? Maybe some type of bump stop? A rubber baby buggy bumper or something

Is there a chance the spring nanner could hit the wheel under compression? Maybe some type of bump stop? A rubber baby buggy bumper or something

I think it will be strong enough but I am thinking of having a thick coil spring between the top and bottom leafs.

I was one spot away from becoming a Page 2 Slacker again.
After dinner, there was still a little daylight, so I pull SteamRoller out for a new mockup.

After staring at ALLLLLL the tractor spring mockups, I'm just not sold on using it yet. It just seems to out of scale or something. I think I might go with a banana seat with a sissy bar sticking up through the holey Higgins rack.

When I was leaving my office I saw the Long John Saddle that I got from @Dr. Tankenstein and just felt it deserved a tryout. Here it is. If you are unfamiliar with these seats, they are sorta like the love child of a regular 60s saddle and a flat banana seat.

First I tested it without the rack. It's a little lower than it would be if I mounted it.

20200518_201821.jpg
20200518_201830.jpg
20200518_201838.jpg
20200518_201847.jpg

Then I took the sissy bar off and mocked it with the rack.

20200518_202248.jpg
20200518_202256.jpg
20200518_202306.jpg
20200518_202315.jpg

After being distracted with the tractor spring and the Ruff seatpan and the Long John saddle, etc etc , I think what I'll end up with is something I was thinking about before the holey Higgins rack. Using the Monark springer as the suspension sissy bar for the high back nanner. I kinda set it aside for a while cuz I wasn't sure if I wanted to punch two more holes in the rack.

I believe I can work out an offset top bracket to make this work as a suspension sissy. I like the proportion of the springs to the high back of the nanner. Rough mockup. I see the front of the seat being a little higher up and probably having a nose saddle spring.

20200518_202617.jpg
20200518_202630.jpg
20200518_202539.jpg
20200518_202550.jpg
20200518_202557.jpg
20200518_202609.jpg

Long John is the best looking saddle with the rear rack, to me anyway. That last config with the springer rear seat support is really cool! It just feels like it needs more mass. Could you add a thicker set of braces or something to get more 'weight' back there to offset those beefy Pro Flex forks?

I was one spot away from becoming a Page 2 Slacker again.
After dinner, there was still a little daylight, so I pull SteamRoller out for a new mockup.

After staring at ALLLLLL the tractor spring mockups, I'm just not sold on using it yet. It just seems to out of scale or something. I think I might go with a banana seat with a sissy bar sticking up through the holey Higgins rack.

When I was leaving my office I saw the Long John Saddle that I got from @Dr. Tankenstein and just felt it deserved a tryout. Here it is. If you are unfamiliar with these seats, they are sorta like the love child of a regular 60s saddle and a flat banana seat.

First I tested it without the rack. It's a little lower than it would be if I mounted it.

View attachment 121396View attachment 121397View attachment 121398View attachment 121399

Then I took the sissy bar off and mocked it with the rack.

View attachment 121400View attachment 121401View attachment 121402View attachment 121403
I don't know man, I just can't get into this one. It reminds me of Steve Martin's nose in Roxanne.

I'm sure this saddle has it's place somewhere, but I'm not sure it's this bike.

I'm a Monark guy from the git-go, and I'd of never thought to use the fork for a suspension sissy bar. Brilliant, just Brilliant!

I wish I could take credit for coming up with the idea, but actually the first place I saw one of these being used as a sissy bar was by bighit, the builder that I bought this frame and fork from. He used one with a chrome nanner pan when he won BO5.

Any way you choose, I’m sure, as usual, this bike will be ridiculously unique and appealing, but I still like the springy nanner with the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which one are you calling the springy nanner? Do you mean the tractor spring with the nanner?
I am leaning towards the high back nanner, but with the Monark springs, but also with the holey Higgins rack. I just can't really mock it up without holes in the rack yet.

Which one are you calling the springy nanner? Do you mean the tractor spring with the nanner?
I am leaning towards the high back nanner, but with the Monark springs, but also with the holey Higgins rack. I just can't really mock it up without holes in the rack yet.
If I know soul, and I don't.
I think he's talking about the monark springs.

I don't know man, I just can't get into this one. It reminds me of Steve Martin's nose in Roxanne.

I'm sure this saddle has it's place somewhere, but I'm not sure it's this bike.

This is a funky seat for sure. Truly every time I look at these Long John saddle, I'm never sure if they are just unique and cool or are they funky and ugly. Maybe a little bit of both. :D

I like it better on this bike than most places I have considered it, but I don't like it enough for it to take the place of the high back nanner.

Long John is the best looking saddle with the rear rack, to me anyway. That last config with the springer rear seat support is really cool! It just feels like it needs more mass. Could you add a thicker set of braces or something to get more 'weight' back there to offset those beefy Pro Flex forks?

As I stated above, I'm just not sold on the funky Long John saddle. I kinda like it, but not better than other options. Especially not better than the Monark springer high back nanner.

If I was going with just the sissy bar and seat, I might worry about rear visual mass, but I still plan to use the holey Higgins rack which you can see from the other mockups, it provides plenty of booty mass.

Latest posts

Back