Steel Wool Job "Zig Zag"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started out with steel wool to discover what the original paint color was on this Ben Hur bike. It's turned into a project. I'm realy digging the colors. Dig it...

6c35e09c3653ae4bee4ce64e36b898a1.jpg

The fenders are not original to this bike, however, the rear fender has some green and white pin stripe. The front fender was black. The frame was originally burgundy with white darts. The fork turned out great.

4284200c542c98cb31d5a804eda4afd4.jpg

A rosette apeared on the both fenders.

01d30ad452d2aadb6f683c80ceeb6e67.jpg

I have more to do before ready for clear coat.

524bb5868af19e1148aae8574b5fc032.jpg

Dig the colors?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity how are you guys following up the WD40 with clear coats. What are you guys degreasing between, I've had terrible issues chasing out armorall that contaminated a paint job, I'd be interested to be able do the same but concerned botching the clear and ruining the patina tryinbto clean it back up.
It looks awesome great job feathering the patina

Out of curiosity how are you guys following up the WD40 with clear coats. What are you guys degreasing between, I've had terrible issues chasing out armorall that contaminated a paint job, I'd be interested to be able do the same but concerned botching the clear and ruining the patina tryinbto clean it back up.
It looks awesome great job feathering the patina

I have not used WD40, linseed oil or any oil base products on surfaces that I intend to clear coat. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started out with steel wool to discover what the original paint color was on this Ben Hur bike. It's turned into a project. I'm realy digging the colors. Dig it...

The fenders are not original to this bike, however, the rear fender has some green and white pin stripe. The front fender was black. The frame was originally burgundy with white darts. The fork turned out great.

Dig the colors?

Way cool!

Dig the colors?

Looks like a dude smoking a doobie on the rear of your front fender!

I have a serious question to present concerning clear coat. My intent for this bike is to get that look the way I want it to be and clear coat it to seal it in.

I'm a fan of the work Steve Darnell and Welder Up in Vegas does on the TV program Vegas Rat Rods. With that as inspiration. My intent is to have it clear coated shiny.

However, my only dilemma up to this point was shiny or matte on the clear coat. After reading a thread on the Cabe. I am guestioning whether to clear coat at all? Heavy paste wax?

RRB please share your thoughts on the protective coating for this build?

Flat as a finish is a pain sometimes. If want to run it I'd advise not to do unless with laquer over gloss 2 part clear, so it can be removed an reshoot. It marks very easy and picks up dirty.
If you are clear flat over flat it'll start get milky and tends to yellow.
As I asked above I am also intersted in clearing a salvaged patina, but my consern would be a reaction with the penetrating oil... If it fisheyes bad enough it would be quite a task to manage to salvage the clear and patina below. I'd definitely wash it a few times with simple green and then a good dish soap like dawn...
Wax is awsome just needs be reaplied and maintained. And has no adverse reaction to WD...

Latest posts

Back