Stewart Warner Floating Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 90%
9   1   0
well since i cant find any pics of these on the web and no one could tell me whats the guts looked like i gutted the one i recently got to clean and repack it. if anyone else wants to know, here you go!! i didn't, however, remove the axle, which is either coated in rubber or spring loaded.

This is it built into its new home, works like a new one!! (it ain't staying on this bike though, it'll be upgraded to something much nicer!)

I just looked it up and found that it is ironic that he has it mounted in a springer fork in the photo. This hub was actually designed to mimic what a spring fork does internally.

The article I read claims it was to cut down on labor costs by simplifying the system.

Motopecane said:
I just looked it up and found that it is ironic that he has it mounted in a springer fork in the photo. This hub was actually designed to mimic what a spring fork does internally.

The article I read claims it was to cut down on labor costs by simplifying the system.

Ha, I noticed the same thing! It does exactly what the name implies, it "floats" or moreso rolls out bumps. The axle is offset to the bottom and is free to roll forward or backward.

I don't know if you've ever ridden a flipped rattrap fork but if you have I'm sure you know they, how you say, dont spring very much. The sw. Hub actually made it ride a little smoother.

Latest posts

Back