Sting-Rays at Wal-Mart again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So apparently, it is now possible to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a 20" Schwinn Stingray in Coppertone, Campus Green, or late '70s Sky Blue.
stingrays_at_wallys.PNG

(okay, not entirely true. i think these are ordered online. but they can be picked up at your local WalMart after you order them.)

Now I know this is a highly controversial thing and it generally gets bike guys entrenched in two distinct camps. I am firmly in the camp that says anything that gets people excited about bikes is a good thing. Interesting that they look very similar to the ones that sell on Amazon for $350. The only differences I can see from pictures is that the Amazon ones have a HUGE Lucky 7-style sprocket, whereas these have a Lucky 7 that looks closer in size to the original. Also, the Amazon ones have a modern interpretation of Schwinn bow pedals, where these have plain old rubber block pedals.

Yes, the seat is a monstrosity. Yes, the forks aren't much better. The bars are the less desirable bend and the stem is (shudder) alloy. But for the vast majority of people who AREN'T Schwinn aficionados, the general look is right and they picked some pretty cool colors. I won't rush out to get a new one, but I wouldn't mind picking one up at a yard sale in a couple of years after someone gets bored with it.

Discuss...

Last edited:
Below is my review from last year's release for the bikes they are selling on Amazon for $349. The bikes on Walmart look pretty similar with the exception of the wheel finish and pedals. Definitely a lot cheaper!

My youngest daughter rides the Fair Lady on a regular basis and it's actually a pretty nice bike considering the price. In my opinion it's better quality than the Black Friday Krates. The seats are pretty lame though.

Last edited:
In looking at your review, I can see that the Amazon ones have a better-looking crank, too... looks more like the original Schwinn part.

As long as what happened with that Stranger Things BMX, where unscrupulous people try to pas em off as old ones to unsuspecting buyers. I'm not a muscle guy, are they different enough that anyone with a bit of knowledge can tell?

As long as what happened with that Stranger Things BMX, where unscrupulous people try to pas em off as old ones to unsuspecting buyers. I'm not a muscle guy, are they different enough that anyone with a bit of knowledge can tell?
PhotoGrid_1589472872490.jpg

Dead giveaways: fork, seat, handlebar stem.
Pretty obvious if you look for a minute: sissy, seat post, aluminum vs. chrome steel rims.
Look closer: pedals, crank, frame welds, fasteners, fender and guard designs.
(I'm sure the purists can jump in with a MUCH longer list.)

I'm by no means an expert, but I know enough to be able to tell at a glance. Now, three years down the road, are there people who aren't into bikes who will see one of these that's been left outside to mellow and get crusty and believe that it's an original? Sure.

I see it a lot with the HO scale slot car hobby. Original Aurora and AFX cars from the '60s and '70s can be worth quite a lot. Just about any one of them in complete and usable shape could go for at least $25, with certain rare/desirable cars and colors going well into the hundreds of dollars. Then in the '90s, a company called Playing Mantis (now Round 2) started repopping some of them. They're great if you are into playing with toy cars, but there are people who get into (or get back into) the hobby and believe the repops are originals and pay way too much for them. Add to that the fact that a whole cottage industry has sprung up of manufacturers who either make resin casts of originals or contract repros from Chinese molding shops, and it can be a real minefield if you want to start collecting and don't know what you're looking at.

But back to your original point: I think anyone who knows a little about old Schwinns can tell pretty quickly that this isn't one.

Question is - is the frame and maybe paint worth building?
I haven't seen one in person. If they are in fact the same frame as the one Rat Rod reviewed above, I would think so. He commented that in his opinion, they are better quality than the 2007 Black Friday Krates.

I have a 2007 Black Friday Krate that I bought new at Wal-Mart on clearance for something like 40 bucks. It is now the basis of my '77 Scrambler tribute bike. Works fine for me as a cool-looking rider.
20200127_072925.jpg

I got a Toys R Us Krate in the closeout sale . £99 . I'm glad I bought it but yes there is little differences if you know . V brake mounts on the springers and a nasty plastic lever ( that's the UK regs for you though they stayed in the bag when I built it up , as did the reflectors ) We didn't get Krates here first time round so any Krate is a start . The bit that made me giggle about it was after all the fuss about the v brake and reflectors needing to be there for UK regs it has a Slick on the back :21:

Latest posts

Back