BO15 Stoked!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And to protect my Rustina, I’m getting this:thumbsup:
F895829E-12B3-42BD-AB01-3E12A772423F.jpeg

So it really is time for me to lock it up on the spending but here’s some more stuff I ordered, AME repop grips made in USA!, a generic albeit thick gauge anodized aluminum seat post because I never really liked laybacks and with the new bars I don’t feel like I’m sitting on the back of my seat and finally zinc seat clamp guts which are an ode to 80’s BMX. Think Viscount Aero. I must be out of my mind... shoulda bought the OM:rofl:
40572A0E-393E-4392-9A81-980057FEF1F9.jpeg
A5D9B8C6-8231-4A41-B805-853B55F43BF9.jpeg
A2A3FADF-65B4-4C8A-8A7D-60AB29C9E5DC.jpeg

I am impressed with your dedication. It takes a certain fortitude to rip open that plastic and remove all that "NOS". Gorgeous stuff
You can’t use it sitting in bags and I have it and I haven’t built up a bike since the 90’s. I think I got this frame in like 97 and finally started riding it when I took apart a 65 Schwinn so I could ride this one. I honestly wanted to throw Redline Flites on it and call it good but saw an old strandie owned by none other than Stacy Peralta, who lives just down the street from my local surf spot, and made the decision right then to do mine. His is blue with gold components and looks like he built it in the 80’s, it’s sick! I’ll get a shot of it when I go home. Anyway I couldn’t find any Flites for a reasonable price and thought I would window shop on the Profile website knowing that stuff was way out of my price range. Turns out I finally looked at the “close outs” page and found those cranks and that sprocket. The sprocket was 15 bucks! And the cranks were less than Flites by a long shot! So yeah I’m using that stuff and I’m going to ride the heck out it! And Thank You! :thumbsup:

Nice parts and build name change.

So I live right up the street from Morro Strand State Beach. The ProfileR name just wasn’t totally working for me as of this morning... Profile Strand Rat ProfileSR. Sounds kinda like a sports car or something...whatever:grin:

Mock up and going for a test ride tomorrow with my family. Not sure I’m liking the yellow wheels. I kinda thought the yellow and red would go better together. I think I need to see it in the sun and maybe switch the chrome nipples for red ones... overall I’m liking. Once I tear down I’ll show you my improvised tooling for install/removal of the cranks. Absolutely no Park tool needed and in fact it will not work on these for removal. Comments appreciated!
More photos tomorrow..... Ira

Last edited:
I like the yellow-gold wheels. They add a third color in the copper / red / yellow spectrum. And the 'sheen' of the wheels and frame matches up well!
Thank you! That was my intention I’m jut not sure of the shade of anodized yellow, it’s actually supposed to be like the anodized gold stuff. My 5 year old son just saw it for the first time this morning and specifically said he likes the wheels so they’re staying!

E3F67227-EABC-4843-9861-CB61ABDD3762.jpeg
A51850C8-2B61-4080-A5AB-E25FB4A3C7A2.jpeg
3FDD36E7-736A-46B2-9F69-007F651DFAA2.jpeg
7C4CB769-C9AD-4B86-B5B5-C79ED9788C84.jpeg

Shakedown family ride complete! Here’s what I learned.... Coaster brakes are cool if you want a cruiser on a BMX bike coaster brakes are basically lame. I actually realized that back in 1981 on my Toys’R’Us Kent. Bunny hops aren’t dangerous with a freewheel yet semi dangerous with a coaster. Curb wheel ride offs are doable with a coaster but involve far to much thinking. freewheels were put on BMX bikes for a reason and not just because they sound cool. I’m in the market for a 36h chrome freehub. Ira

Latest posts

Back