Stretched Murray cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stretched Murray cantilever > Name change and update pics

yeah same here. i like the chrome gaurd, but trim it down a bit so it doesnt go past the rear wheelstay.

Thanks for all the opinions. The guard is starting to grow on me, but I think part of what makes the guard look out of place is the contrast of the angular front of the guard itself with the curved cutouts of the chainring... I think that the current chainring will be swapped for sure... I'm liking it less and less, and I think I've decided upon making a new guard, a much rounder and fuller guard to replace the current one. I like the way the rear of this one sweeps up... I will definitely hold onto the current one if the second does not come out better, but I have a feeling that the second is going to look a thousand times better. As for the chainring: to follow the solid, smooth style of the bike I think I will run one that has not cutouts or designs... does such a chainring exist? I thought that yeshoney had one for sale a while back, in chrome, too... hopefully I can find one, I think it would really go well with the bike.

That's possible, interesting thought...

Chris, did you try putting the chainguard behind the wheelstay, and I have a NOS solid cover for a chainring, if interested I will get a pic of it later, Rick

I have the chainguard issues very nearly worked out, it has really grown on me. I am really getting down to the little bits with this one... I will very soon be done with this build, just need to find special little pieces and this bike will be DONE. :D It should be in the gallery by Early August.... (a lot of other things in line first :shock:)

Reworked fender mounts today, need to finish-file them, need to finish file some other areas... gallery thread soon to come...

Well, I decided that this poor bike has been neglected too long and needs to be finished. I'm finally prioritizing with the projects... :lol: I think this is the first, then the Maytag, then the trike, then the colorflow... Should be done by the end of September, hopefully. Rust is starting to come out... need to clean that off... also made up a rear fender mount:

25hnac1.jpg

35b9m6h.jpg

64frjd.jpg

ng945c.jpg

fancy! :D

What a slick, sick-looking ride!

You mentioned the Tool Shed in an earlier post, whereabouts is that?

You did a great job on the frame, I still think it would be better with paint, BUT, if it floats your boat who cares? 8)

Thanks! :D

The Tool Shed: > Was i referring to the woodshed on our property or the tool store? :lol: I can't remember. The actual store is in Worcester, MA.

Deorman- it very well may get some paint....

Unchained said:

The Tool Shed: > Was i referring to the woodshed on our property or the tool store? :lol: I can't remember. The actual store is in Worcester, MA.

Thanks, man. I'll have to check it out, I go by there fairly often.

SwampYankee said:
Unchained said:

Thanks, man. I'll have to check it out, I go by there fairly often.

Hey, no problem. :)

I decided to add a brace to the handlebars. Should have that in soon.

Re: Stretched Murray cantilever > almost done

I began work to this one again because I decided that it ought to be finished before any of the others- (I think I've been working on it since sometime in March or April). Yesterday, I was able to make up a brace for the handlebars (welded in but not completely finished)- it is made from two pieces of cantilever tube from the original purple frame. 8) :lol: Changed the stem out (originally had the thinner Wald type with arrows/ lines on top- replaced with a 1950's solid JC Higgins stem that sits farther forward). I swapped out the seat post clamp for a bigger one, added a plate bracket to the rear fender, plugged the ends of the bars up with some old handlebar plugs, and finally made up a kickstand for the bike. (<- This doesn't really make sense to me, that I had to make one, considering that I lowered the frame a bit, and yet I actually had to lengthen a 26 inch kickstand?). I'm changing the chain guard, pedals, crank along with possibly some small additions (crashrail to the seat, some kind of plate in back) and then once the rust has been cleaned off again, I can clear the frame, bars, etc. and the bike will be done.

2nsnsm0.jpg

w1fjfd.jpg

2442k3m.jpg

slma2a.jpg

2quhx04.jpg

28wlycl.jpg

1h5vdh.jpg

Re: Stretched Murray cantilever > almost done...

stretch said:
my advise, DONT draw it, keep the idea in your head. turns out better. believe me.

And that really was great advice- thanks. :D

no problem man. it helps me a lot. :D

ifitsfreeitsforme said:
This bike is awesome.

Thanks! It was loads of fun to build and it will be nice to have it completely done.

Well, really getting down to the little bits. I began making some custom axle nuts up for the bike tonight. I have the set for the rear wheel done, should have the front wheel set done tomorrow morning. Got a crashrail onto the seat- simple change, but well needed. Next comes pedals, chainguard work, lots of filing and sanding & clearing, and it's done.

Latest posts

Back