Stretched Murray cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stretched Murray cantilever > axle nuts & more Aug 16

Yeah, my regret comes more from not leaving the ratty paint look, not really the time it took to strip it.

Well, here "she" is :lol: Overall it got lengthened about 6 inches. I was hoping to go a lot farther, but I ran out of lower rear stays of the same size... I do have a Murray girl's muscle bike frame that could donate a few inches though. 8) :wink: I think that would put the total Murray's killed in the making at five. :shock:

original length:
117quk4.jpg

the fatalities :lol: :
5mg0nc.jpg

quick shot of the frame (which I am really starting to think will be cut and lengthened again):
2u7yalh.jpg

...and I think it needs to be longer yet. I have lots more of the upper rear stay tubing... still need to clean up the downtube/cantilever bar joint. I think I'll have the frame all welded and clean up by the end of the day.

I decided that the dropouts didn't really fit, so I put these in place of the pointed ones. I really like this change. Should have the frame finish welded and cleaned today, hopefully.

16217o4.jpg

n4jex3.jpg

These dropouts lowered it, too, by about an inch. :)

Still need to clean up the downtube / cantilever bar joint though.

interesting! i think you should somehow stretch the front to make it more proprotional, but thats just me. and what are those dropouts from?

stretch said:
interesting! i think you should somehow stretch the front to make it more proprotional, but thats just me. and what are those dropouts from?

Thanks. I was thinking about it myself. The dropouts were "donated" by a ladies' 28 inch Raleigh frame.

you should cut out the front end, and lengthen or replace the bars with ones that have more gradual arcs.

Well, bringing this one back up to the top and off the back burner. :) Got some parts, and I've been cutting, welding and fitting it up all morning, should have some pictures of the updates by noon... :wink:

Well, here it is so far, the most drastic changes yet to come... when all is said and done a kickstand should be unnecessary...

fnw8y0.jpg

35a1vdu.jpg

Lacking. I have a lot of thoughts for it but I haven't had time or money lately. I really want to get it done though... it's been too long!

I didn't like the frame chop and need to stretch it back out again. I decided I wanted to drop it a lot lower, and would still like to, and I'm having some issue getting it right. At the moment, it's on hold until I have more time and for the '43 Murray & Starbard frame are done (both nearing completion but with a ways to go).

WOW! The original frames have beautiful curves, and you stretched them perfectly! WOW!

Hey Chris - what's going on with this one??!! :mrgreen:

whoa back up, how did you make those alxe nutz. if you did not visually record them you can always make more and use them later.
thank you for your time.
dwayne

I really dig everything you've done. I miss the Murray bits like the pointed drop outs and the rat trap springer though. Can't wait to see what you do next. Looking forward to progress pics for the other projects as well.

and what happened to the head light that was on my bike?
ng945c.jpg

I sure would love to have that for it now.

thatismytruck said:
I really dig everything you've done. I miss the Murray bits like the pointed drop outs and the rat trap springer though. Can't wait to see what you do next. Looking forward to progress pics for the other projects as well.

and what happened to the head light that was on my bike?
ng945c.jpg

I sure would love to have that for it now.

Ditto on the murray bits.
looking forward to the axle nutz.
thank you for your time.
D

Surprised to see this one taken back up to the top. :)

Skip, I had sold the light some time before you got the bike- I can't remember who to. It was kind of flaky inside I think, and I was plannign on using a rfeplacement someday... I'm sorry it was departed from the bike.

I have actually been working plans in my head to rebuild this bike... I'm not sure where they are headed yet.

Latest posts

Back