Summer Truss Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Summertime in the Philippines is the best time for bike builds! Paint jobs will bake nicely under the scorching heat and it's too hot to ride during the day anyway (between 36°C - 40°C). I'm using one of the truss frames I salvaged from a junkyard http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/junkyard-klunker.95226/ and some extra parts I have in my personal stash. I have already sanded/cleaned/primed the frame including the fork, and will start painting tomorrow. Please stay tuned ;-)

IMG_20160320_150915.jpg
IMG_20160320_154811.jpg
IMG_20160320_155806.jpg
IMG_20160320_165328.jpg

Chopped off the light bracket sticking out from the fork and did a mock-up with the bars up. Still deciding if I will keep it that way or drop it, we'll see.
IMG_20160320_165303.jpg

...and my lazy bike-building minions :)
IMG_20160320_155236.jpg
IMG_20160321_162306.jpg

Last edited:
Nice frame ! ill keep an eye on this:nerd:
i kind of loved the rusted chrome patina tho ,can't wait to see the color:39:

A skinny tire cruiser is best for longer rides. Are those 26 x 1 3/8 ths tires? When it's really hot here, any extra weight is like hauling sandbags around. My rider is 24" just a tiny bit small for me.

I'm still on the hunt for a good frame like that, I'm sure one will turn up. My sidecar bike has the same label as your bike, Metaplus, made in R.P. Do you know if they are just reusing frames or was it actually built here?

I'm looking forward to see how this build comes out.

A skinny tire cruiser is best for longer rides. Are those 26 x 1 3/8 ths tires? When it's really hot here, any extra weight is like hauling sandbags around. My rider is 24" just a tiny bit small for me.

I'm still on the hunt for a good frame like that, I'm sure one will turn up. My sidecar bike has the same label as your bike, Metaplus, made in R.P. Do you know if they are just reusing frames or was it actually built here?

I'm looking forward to see how this build comes out.

Hi Wildcat, how's the weather there in Subic? I plan on using this as my daily rider and yes they are 26 x 1 3/8. I'm not really quite sure if they're locally built or imports re-branded. Patria is the only local one we know of, but closed shop decades ago. I'll dig deeper.

I'm also actually on the look out for a 26" cruiser frame for you. I've spotted an old one in Makati City but haven't had luck talking to the owner yet. I always see it chained to a gate, looks like it's being used. It's a whole straightbar with no visible branding, hopefully I could get it around P1,500 - P2,000. Just tell me if you're interested :)

Last edited:
Here's some photos from the first painting session, I would want to take more time on this than the usual. I plan on painting it metallic black (with a hint of glitter) and hopefully would turn out glassy after a couple of coats of clear. I want this to be my "formal" ride :)
IMG_20160322_132535.jpg

The glitters don't show up from this angle. After I'm done I'll surely take photos under a better light.
IMG_20160322_132503.jpg

How awesome is it finding a bolt with a RAT branding on it! I've probably been buying these things for a while and just noticed this today (I was wearing my reading glasses) hahaha! RAT on!
IMG_20160322_174013.jpg

Latest posts

Back