Super Collegiate...Finally Finalized

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got this nice Schwinn Camelback from Smoopy's a while back.....

c1.jpeg

Was pretty jazzed about putting my spin on this then the impulse kind of waned.....but not before I bought a few more parts.

c6.jpg

Guess we can consider this started if sitting in a lawn chair looking at it counts as a start...:21:

c5.jpg

Had a more upright, more stock Collegiate looking handlebar scenario in mind but kind of want to try it with these. They make it look kind of speedy.
c4.jpg

I had a vision of what I wanted this to be. Not sure if I'll get it there but I'll do something with it.

Got enough parts on hand to just about make it a runner but thinking about tearing the wheels down and doing the de-anodize and polish routine to get that out of the way. My first set of 700c wheels. That's a lotta hoop to sand...:whew:..but should be worth it.

Tempted to just make it a runner though...:39:...Looks like it might be fun to ride.

Will see how this goes. Got a lot of things that need doing around here including cleaning up that stick pile..:21:

Last edited:
Move the bike. Light a match. Stick pile gone.

Now, on to less mundane things....like you hot-rodding a humpbacked Schwinn! :21:

Glad to see you aboard Chad....RaT oN! Or in your case; get polishing!:bigsmile:

Always love a good Chad T build. Someday I'll either build one of mine up with all the new gear or come up there and ask to ride yours. The 9 speed? Fastback you built looked faster just sitting. I wanna ride all your bikes.

Move the bike. Light a match. Stick pile gone.

Now, on to less mundane things....like you hot-rodding a humpbacked Schwinn! :21:

Glad to see you aboard Chad....RaT oN! Or in your case; get polishing!:bigsmile:

Thank you brother...yes that's the plan for the sticks. They were too green last time we tried.

My favorite frame
Cool frame!

Frame was a good score. I was wheelin' and dealin' with Smoopy's when he posted this up.

Thought about what to do with it then decided just to keep it a Collegiate.

Always love a good Chad T build. Someday I'll either build one of mine up with all the new gear or come up there and ask to ride yours. The 9 speed? Fastback you built looked faster just sitting. I wanna ride all your bikes.

Thank you ODDER..I like your bikes too man.

I wish I wouldn't have taken the yellow one apart.

index.php

That bike was kind of the test mule for this bike.

The Fastbacks are both 9 speeds. Those are what got me hooked on the camelback frame. They even have the curved seat stays.

index.php

If I can find 4 decent brake pads I might have to test this today. Just noticed yesterday I have a set of brake cables.

Looks like it might be a bit of a missle for the stock brakes but I guess if they could stop a Varsity with steel rims they might be worth a try.

Well this one is officially a runner. Left the cables long until everything is situated.

c7.jpg

Kind of like the way it rides with these bars but put a different Schwinn stem on there.

c9.jpg

Fairly inexpensive 11-speed. Gonna try the shifter cable behind the brake. Found another oddball set of Dia Compe brake levers made to use with grip shifters.

11sp.jpg

11sp2.jpg

Braking is surprisingly adequate with the stock brakes.

brake.jpg

Not much to look at really but she's a sweet runner.

Kid made me put the seat down so he could try it.

jd.jpg

Those Diacompe brake levers are cool, don't think I've seen those before. And 11 spd on a Collegiate .....my Varsity had 10 speeds; of course, there were 2 chainrings.:21:

What is that, like a 46 or 48t ring on the front? Should be a fast machine. Got a color in mind?

...and another thing. You know Chad, there might be a pretty good market for these Suped up Schwinns with the hipster / vintage crowd. Something that you could actually commute on in a hilly city. I used my Felt Dispatch single speed road bike for 4 years, but once I switched to a multi-speed road bike I cut my time (and more importantly, saved my knees!) by 10+ minutes on a 13 mile commute.

42t front and 42t 1st gear on the back. Makes for super easy starts and hopefully dignified hill climbing..:p. 11sp with grip shift is nice.

Last edited:
One to one ratio, good hill climbing gear. Train in the 3rd or 4th cog to get the quads burning, then spin to win!

A 1:1 ratio will definitely ease the climbs! I do usually run the barrel adjuster for the shifter under the brake lever/handle bar. Make sure its not up against the bottom of the lever so you can still adjust it, and it helps prevent damage to that part of the shifter in the event of a crash, like going over the bars... cool build, love modernizing old frames, my road bike is an early 90s trek with Ultegra 10spd on it, fun for getting around town!

keep the rubber side down!

Thank you Fellas!

Haven't tried climbing any big hills with it yet but I tried it down a slight hill and ran out of nerve way before I ran out of gear so I think I've got enough there. Top gear out back is 11t.

I relocated the shifter with the barrel behind the brake lever.

Also stuck the guard on there. The guard def makes it more "Collegiatey" . Was planning on lowering it it but it doesn't look too shabby like that.

c10.jpg

Wasn't wild about the stickers on the brake levers so when they started peeling in the hot weather I knew it was time to break out the carbon fiber vinyl wrap. Used some on the shifter and derailleur as well.

cf.jpg

Re-routed the shift cable and used a different stop. It's a better angle and don;t have to mess with the derailleur to remove the guard.

Picked up a bottom bracket adaptor at the local bike shop yesterday along with another set of bars so will playing with that stuff today.

Have a set of carbon fiber cranks I want to try on this. Last years impulse buy that wouldn't fit becomes this years free upgrade...:21:

He's got the fanciest drive trains in the west, Western Ohio that is!

I like your little touches, it's your signature now! Where do you get those cable housing stops? They look really solid, and best of all, they work.

Love the camelback frame, cannot wait to see if you can get the carbon cranks on there!

Thank you. The cranks fit like a glove. Even cleared the chain guard with minimal finagling. Took the black off the chain ring with some easy off and then shined it up a bit with some steel wool and mothers. Hoops will get a similar treatment.

cranks.jpg

I need to take the chainguard to work and do some whittling on it with a grinder before I can lower it but I think I will drop the front of it a touch.

New bars can be seen in this pic as well.

c11.jpg

I like your little touches, it's your signature now! Where do you get those cable housing stops? They look really solid, and best of all, they work.

Thank you OJ....the stops are shimano stops. I think I got a whole bag of them for 10 bux. They are sized more for the seat stays but I was able to beat one into shape for use on the thin part of the chain stay.

Looks super slick, with the mix of old a new parts.

Looks fast! That's because I'm sure it is fast! Nothing like a RRRB (RatRodRoadBike).

Latest posts

Back