Swamp dog

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3197.jpg

Not really a swamp - more of a storm water retention area near the park - but the dog loves a romp in the rain and we're having a wet autumn in Brisbane.
So i 'winterised' the fat bike - not that it actually gets very cold here either - but the slicks and apes came off and the off-road shoes and 30x10 BMX bars went back on.
As it was:
fatso1.jpg

The cables aren't as tidy as I like them, but I will put the apes back on next summer - so they can stay slightly too long.
IMG_3210.jpg

Not that he cares ... "Did someone say 'Duck?'"
IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3192.jpg

Days getting shorter here in Brisbane so I fabricated a new light for the Fatty. It's a 6" work light for a 4x4 with a rechargeable 12V battery pack behind the race plate. Works real well for short range jungle running illumination. Suits the style of the bike pretty well too.
The too-long cables annoyed me too much as well - so I trimmed 'em.
_DSC6545.jpg

_DSC6531.jpg

_DSC6533.jpg

lightbar2.jpg

Did a few more finishing details and the conditions I specified this bike for have set in for the weekend.
I've got other fair-weather riders - a BMX Cruiser, Beach Cruiser and a Hardtail.
While it doesn't get cold during the day here, the winters can be wet sometimes and I wanted to create an all-round, all conditions, all roads bicycle.
So the Fatty has now got sealed bearings throughout, the fenders are plastic, light weight and effective, the Brooks C19 is all-weather and the grips are PU leather. The lighting is all waterproof too. It's a good fun bike that doesn't make much difference what surface it's riding on.
_DSC7624.jpg
_DSC7599.jpg
_DSC7610a.jpg
_DSC7632.jpg

Last edited:
Happy place. Although the pics make this look far more epic than it is. It's the green corridor that runs through the housing estates part of the way to the bayside. Flood and fire mitigation too. Rarely used though. 'Cept for ...

IMG_3569.jpg
IMG_3573.jpg

A few more components arrived today - a floating disc for the front - because they are quieter mounted on these wheels. The mags amplify any drive train noises too. Fortunately it's all running sweet now
_DSC7804.png

I do have a better derailleur for it, but I'm in no hurry to break the chain.
I worked out how to mount the dog's water dish on the rack as well.
Next will be to work out a cover for the 12V power pack for the light bar.

_DSC7830.jpg

Today I fitted a new Shimano freewheel - the one that came with the wheels had a lot of slop in the bearing that I couldn't get rid of - even with extra shims and it was making a racket - also amplified by the mags. So it copped an upgrade. Also fitted a twin clamp on the seat post to replace the friction clamp.
And to keep with the 4x4 vibe of the build I made some better mud flaps.

_DSC8428.jpg

_DSC8418.jpg

_DSC8424.JPG

_DSC8404.JPG

This still needs to go on sooner or later - but I'm still not ready to break the chain to do it.

_DSC8454.JPG

Latest posts

Back