Swingbike Finished!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Swingbike

More paint problems. The paint job turned out pretty darn good but after it sat all night the paint wrinkled again.
I'm done. I will just have to live with the wrinkles in the paint. Sometime in the future when I have more time I will strip the entire bike and repaint it with automotive paint and a paint gun.
I did get the fender and bottom bracket mounted.
I am meeting with a welder tonight to get the seat post welded.
Then I need to give it a few more days for the paint to harden then I will get it all put together.
Here are some updated pictures.

I primed it with ppg self etch primer then waited about an hour then I went over that with rustoleum filler sander. The instructions say it can be wet sanded after 10 minutes. I waited for at least 15-20 minutes before wet sanding then I added another coat. Once I got two good costs of filler primer on I waited about an hour before adding the yellow paint. I wait 30-45 minutes between coats of yellow. I only got three coats of yellow on before the yellow s
Paint started to spit so I quit painting. The yellow looked really good with just one small area where there was a reaction of some sort but no wrinkles until I came home from work the next day. That's when the wrinkles showed up.
I can work the wrinkles out with my fingers but they come right back almost like there is grease or something under the paint.
Before priming I wiped the frame down with paint thinner then wiped it off with glass cleaner just to be sure there were no contaminants on the metal. This is the same process I used on the upper frame and fork which turned out great.

Its done, its done!!!
I finally finished this project and it looks great!
I got my seat posts welded up and the disc made for the sprocket cover to make it look like an AO series swingbike.
Here are some pictures...I will post the rest in the finished section.
Here is is without the sprocket cover.

Sprocket cover cloning the AO series bike.

Love the build. Bike looks great especially the chainring cover plate!

I have had the same wrinkle problem with rattle can paint. It happens if you paint, and wait a little while in-between coats. It needs to be painted all at once with no cure time between coats. If you do let it cure between coats you need to give it weeks (sometimes as many as 3 or more) to cure before the next coat. Rustoleum seems to be the worst at it.

Some auto paint shops can mix automotive paint into a rattle can for you. It is an easy way to get your bike painted with a decent auto grade paint. I used this method the front valance of a car and on the wheels on another.

Latest posts

Back