Tall Bikes,lets see'em!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ozzmonaut said:
I wanted to build one very similar to the tallest one. However I was afraid that that steering design would make it difficult to turn the bars because of the opposite angles of the front and rear portions, and the bars being in the center of those two angles. Any idea how well it steers?

Crappy. haha, you don't steer it, it steers you. It is controllable, but you steer with your whole upper body, you push the bars to the left and right like a big tiller instead of just steering them on a pivot. When I rode one of them I just kind of encouraged it where to go, but it seemed to have more control than me.

kenny p said:
Another oldie but a goodie....

100_1115.jpg

100_1116.jpg

I really like the retro styling on this one. I didn't know they made tall bikes in the 1890s. :shock:

Does this count as a tall bike?

The seat is even with my chest and I have to get a running start to hop up on it.

Photo_DB8F677C-6160-9C31-7A48-71F1DE6F3EF2.jpg

IMG_2565.jpg

kingfish254 said:

I was going to say no (haha), but I have my 4 year old sitting in my lap and he saw the photo and said "Sand bike... tall bike... tall sand bike."

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

I was going to say no (haha), but I have my 4 year old sitting in my lap and he saw the photo and said "Sand bike... tall bike... tall sand bike."

Cool, I'll take the vote from a 4 year old any day of the week!!! :D
Your kid has good taste! :shock:

Love that this thread is still truckin' after 2+ years...

Here's my contribution:

Simple as a dimple and clean as a whistle. No steps or pegs needed for mounting either.

While I'm at it, I've got a question for all you tallbikers. Has anyone mastered the wheelie on one of these?

CycoCycles said:
While I'm at it, I've got a question for all you tallbikers. Has anyone mastered the wheelie on one of these?

My red/orange/yellow/white fade tallbike is not able to wheelie unless you like falling off the back. If the front wheel comes more than 6" off the ground, you're over.

The other tall bike (with me as Buddy the Elf riding) is longer wheel base, so you can pop up the front wheel to get onto curbs and such, but any wheelie balance point is too close to the point of no return to consider "riding" a wheelie, but I can bunny hop it.

Just finished this one today. I have ridden about 8 or 10 miles around town and getting a kick out of all the people taking pics and video as they drive past. Even had a few pull over in side streets to get better pics and chat with me as I roll by.

IMAG1012.jpg

udallcustombikes said:
Just finished this one today. I have ridden about 8 or 10 miles around town and getting a kick out of all the people taking pics and video as they drive past. Even had a few pull over in side streets to get better pics and chat with me as I roll by.

I love the attention mine gets, just making people smile makes me happy.

How's yours handle with the big forward apes?

I was cleaning out today, taking a bunch of bikes to the scrapper tomorrow, but saved frames for a couple more tall bikes, I want a fleet of them!

Latest posts

Back