Tank plates?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen dummy tank in fills put in the holes of the frames, using straps around the bar, Velcro, welded on tabs etc but how do they fit them with none of these on show? just fitting a metal plate that looks like its floating or a Perspex panel where the mounts don't look half ..... and I don't want to touch or mark the original frame, so how is it done?

I have seen dummy tank in fills put in the holes of the frames, using straps around the bar, Velcro, welded on tabs etc but how do they fit them with none of these on show? just fitting a metal plate that looks like its floating or a Perspex panel where the mounts don't look half ..... and I don't want to touch or mark the original frame, so how is it done?
That statement is hard to under stand if you don't strap or weld it & don't want it to touch the frame ??? Sounds like magic
c62d48ba038ce1d8df007d19c842d3df.jpg

Here's mine clean & no straps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And we're still waiting for the answer to this magic...:confused:

the bike in my avatar has two louvered aluminum side plates that are bolted together with threaded rod in the middle and acorn cap nuts on both sides. The exposed end is enclose by bend the tabs in. So no mod to the frame was necessary. The "tank" is wedged in place.

Sorry i was not clear i just meant the plate in there with no visible brackets or tabs like pics above, just want to see how you did it, the inside work you cant see on the outside!

If you weren't worried about the paint, I'm sure there's a caulking that would work and the panel could be smoothed to a nice transition where the panel meets the tubes.

maybe some window seals like that ( LI-SE-015 ) and double sided tape ? searching for options for mine to . the trick is still where the heck to find that stuff ;)
lip_5.jpg

or maybe by taping the frame leaving only a small strip in the tank area and just silicone the plate in place , rub excess and remove the tape for a clean look :39: some silicone are strong , yet can be removed without leaving any traces , like the ones for sealing windows in the winter time

Last edited:
I am eventually getting tank plates made for a project. It will have two vertical tabs welded inside between top and middle frame tubes. Then drill the holes to use a double screw, one side is normal outside thread screw other side is internal thread, that will hold the plates to the tabs. Found these screws at an ACE Hardware.

Should have this done over the winter so I can get frame and parts to powder coat.

Latest posts

Back