Thanks for being a part of it!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who had a part in the build-off and everyone who followed along and commented too! I am pretty sure all the builders had a great time and enjoyed the light competition involved!

Luke.

Also, for me, it's good to have a due date. Other wise, I'd probably never finish it.
It is the same for me! That is why I set them up, that and it gets some action going on RRB which gives me something to read when I am not working on the bike... ;)

Really impressed with the amount of builders involved, the amount of bikes that made it to the finish and the amazing quality of the bikes!

Is it bad that I am already looking forward to doing another Muscle Bike Build-off? What do we think? Sometime after the big one (RRB-BO#09) ends?

Luke.

Well this event motivated me to really do my first custom build. Thanks all!

Luke, I'd just joined this forum and was trying to absorb everything I could and this build-off came up. I had to jump in. I'm glad I did. I feel like I'm making some friends, and this was the first real build I've ever done too! Now I'm hooked, and I'm building a pair of steampunked bikes in the Winter Build-Off. I also plan on continuing to work on HeadBanger...
Thanks for the support!

Carl.

this was fun, let's do it again some time in the future :D

Well... I jumped in after the original deadline had finished and it was extended, and I am glad I did. Chopster was originally built in the first Muscle Bike Build Off but wasn't doing it for me... just wasn't that comfortable... too short. So if I hadn't decided to modify it for this build off, it would probably have just sat and not get done at all.

Thanks Luke for all the organising :113:

Glen.

Yeah thanks Luke the motivation of a deadline gets things done, I like it don't know if my wife likes me saying "I've got to get this one done, it's the deadline". It's all good I just blame it on Luke, you are therefore very popular in our house! Great bikes and discussion as well, onya Luke!!

I think a budget/highend cap would be better in the future some people myself included spent a lot of loot i'd say I have 600 in mine ... but my point is some people who cannot afford that or were just cleaning out there trash pile did some amazing builds .. and I think creativity should not be over shadowed by cash ...

again this build is one I have been thinking about for 10 years so its money well spent and im so happy and I thank you so much for lighting a fire under my butt.

everyones bikes were awesome I just know there was like 5 of us that had little to no budget while another 5 made simply kick ... bikes for next to nothing spent and theres a lot to be said for that !

heck I spent less on my first motorcycle build than I did this bike hahahah.
and I got this !
cb550015.jpg

I don't think a cap is gonna work and isn't necessary anyway... I got a couple hundred in mine, but only cuz I bought the donor new. But it's not really about the win, although it's cool to see where we stack up, a cap limits some folks visions and we don't want to do that. It's all good.

Carl.

I got about $180 (paint was a gift, so was the seat)in mine but it's not about how much you spend cause everyone knows you can't buy cool. It's about the satisfaction of building something you are proud to say "I made it" when someone stops you on the street. Everything I have is made to ride. Who cares about the show if there's no go.

I can't even start to calculate what I've got in mine. Some parts are from a number of bikes I've picked up for other reasons. Some parts I got because I needed them for the build. But all the parts have been collected over time.

I'm sure I'll never get back what I put into them, but that's not why we do it.

well I think you get my point maybe 200$ and under and a 200+ catagories...
just in fairness that way some low buck ingenuity will also be rewarded. I don't mean cap the builds just run two catagories ...

Read the build threads. There is genuine admiration for all the builds. I believe much can be learned from those of us who have less to spend and are forced to build in the true and original Rat Rod way. I think most of us here build because we love bikes, not for bragging rights on a forum...

Carl.

I dont feel like its unfair to have different budgets. Everyone has built their own bikes, just some happen to cost more! If someone paid to have a bike built, then I might be a little upset.

And how to you calculate the cost of a trade? Parts laying around received in trade awaiting some great build. Is the cost $0? Is the cost full retail? It just opens too much to unenforceable rules and dampens the spirit of the build-off. I like how this went. I admired the highest budget bike, and I marveled at what a guy did for $10 in his back yard! We had a broad spectrum of talent and ideas, and think that innovation was the real winner.

Latest posts

Back