The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The boardtrack- bobber-bicycle looking thing...

stocksucks said:
I'm ashamed because envy is an ugly thing :oops:
Great build man.
What are you going to use for the transmission? Leather belt?
Congratulations.

I have no idea where to find a leather belt that long. I was just going to go to the farm store and find v-belt that will fit the sheaves I bought. At this point in the build, I'm winging it. Every idea I have thought about in the past few years is already done. Now I just spend sleepless nights thinking about how to finish it.

Thanks you for the kind words. It makes building this thing justifiable. :D Most people just tell me to buy a motorcycle (I have one).

Beau said:
Ha! I'm pretty sure I have linked to that video already in this thread!

I'm really excited to know you are on here!

I hope this little engine will pull me, and wanted to ask if you ever rode yours?

:D

I've ridden this all over and my setup works good except for steeper hills. Smaller ones are fine as long as I have a running start, but since I don't have pedals if I loose momentum I'm walking it up the hill :lol: I'm not exactly a small person, about 6'3 and 275 (Was a bit more at the time of this video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zvjcZLhBk&feature=related but I was putting right along at what I guess is about 20-25mph. My ratio I had seemed to be more for the high end speed.

I just even found my old build thread. I guess this winter I might finally finish this thing :roll:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17327&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

Do you have the 5s or the 6s? The 6s has a tiny bit more horsepower and revs a bit more.

have no idea how i missed this one but very cool and is very much along the lines of what i want to build. got a line on a vintage clinton motor i got my fingers crossed. as for yours sick!

MarksA-C said:
Beau said:

I hope this little engine will pull me, and wanted to ask if you ever rode yours?

I've ridden this all over and my setup works good except for steeper hills. Smaller ones are fine as long as I have a running start, but since I don't have pedals if I loose momentum I'm walking it up the hill :lol: I'm not exactly a small person, about 6'3 and 275 (Was a bit more at the time of this video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6zvjcZLhBk&feature=related but I was putting right along at what I guess is about 20-25mph. My ratio I had seemed to be more for the high end speed.

I just even found my old build thread. I guess this winter I might finally finish this thing :roll:

So I watched you video and it seemed to me that you have no throttle? Do you just set the engine at a set rpm an then use the pulley clutch to stop and go? I would imagine you should get more than 20mph out of one of those engines but maybe not.

Motopecane said:
MarksA-C said:
Beau said:

So I watched you video and it seemed to me that you have no throttle? Do you just set the engine at a set rpm an then use the pulley clutch to stop and go? I would imagine you should get more than 20mph out of one of those engines but maybe not.

I have a throttle on it, works good.
And for it being a old worn out 1hp engine its not going to go too fast. Also with my fatbutt riding its not going to be as fast.

oh wow I didn't realize it was 1 hp I'm putting a 3 on my bike that I'm building... it's going to be nuts.

I left work a little early today and destroyed some sheetmetal...

I used the good old recip saw, a grinder and flux core with my "special juice" so it doesn't splatter everywhere.

IM000533.jpg

IM000532.jpg

is your flux core welder from harbor freight....?

No I have a Hobart Handler 135. I spray everything with Anti-splatter nozzle tip spray and let it dry before I weld. It's the BEST thing I have ever discovered and cuts way down on clean up.

Some cell pics my buddy took-

13.jpg

1-4.jpg

12.jpg

cool sometimes I wish I had a better welder but mine gets the job done.

I welded for years using a little tiny Craftsman buzz box. For bike stuff, It worked just fine.

now that you have made all this progress, what color are you going to paint it when it's done?

I'll probably use the Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. I have used it on a lot of car and motorcycle parts and it's by far some of the best paint for the DIY'er. I use the gloss black. It done right, without primer, it can be as strong as powdercoat.

Since you try different types of paint, I have heard over the years , that disk brake rotor paint is almost bullet proof and it comes in lots of colors too.

Uncle Stretch said:
Since you try different types of paint, I have heard over the years , that disk brake rotor paint is almost bullet proof and it comes in lots of colors too.

I think you mean disk brake "caliper" paint not rotor. It would be useless to paint your rotors.. :mrgreen:

nice looking build! i built a motorbike about 4 years ago with the same motor, they are just about bullet proof. i was riding mine one day and the motor seized up, let it cool down for a little while and it started right back up! i did tear it down to check it out though, just a little scarring on the rod at the crank end. i will tell you, keep the pedals handy if you plan on riding it in any hills/inclines whatsoever. these motors are fine for flat riding, but get them in hills of any kind and they don't like them. i have milled the head on mine, and done a valve job/polish on it. mine will run about 30mph on a flat. can't wait to see this done, it looks really nice. keep up the good work! :wink:

Hey all.

I'm still waiting for the gasket set for the engine I have. It has been tough to find one for this old thing.

I also went to Northern Tool and Fleet farm today to pick up some parts. I bought a fixed sprocket for the engine, and a centrifugal clutch for the jack shaft. I'm pretty sure the tiny belt clutch isn't going to pull me.

I also picked up a small brass petcock that will allow me to run the copper line for fuel.

I also fond a pretty sweet old cruiser at a local used shop. I have no idea what it is but it has a tank, and a Cleveland welding fork with the funny braces on it. I got it for less than $100 too... :lol:

It appears to be a 40's Roadmaster.

Latest posts

Back