The Board Track Racer, Briggs powered---Video

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The boardtrack- bobber-bicycle looking thing...

Hey, how your pedal crank clearance issue, would this fix it?

http://www.bikeberry.com/wide-crank.html

imagemagic.php

Beau this moto-bike is looking pretty serious now! I really like the progress. What a rewarding feeling it'll be to take that down the road under its own power. You are solving so many mechanical problems at one time, it's just amazing to watch it unfold.

For any New England area ratrodders, I have one of these motors, from a 1940's reel mower. My father used it years ago to try to make a spraying rig- it's mounted on a little wooden trailer with an automotive oil pump and a belt drive. I also have the original pieces of the jackshaft and dog-clutch that the reel mower came with. I believe it's a 4-hp but it's lost any tag it may have once had. The shroud is repainted red and it's not rusty- but it has been outside and I can't tell you that it will run or even turn right now. It does have a carb on it, gas tank like the one shown in the early pics here, and it did run when it was last used years ago.

Its free in Connecticut if you want to come pick it up, to anyone from here. I do not want to scrap it.

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
Beau this moto-bike is looking pretty serious now! I really like the progress. What a rewarding feeling it'll be to take that down the road under its own power. You are solving so many mechanical problems at one time, it's just amazing to watch it unfold.

For any New England area ratrodders, I have one of these motors, from a 1940's reel mower. My father used it years ago to try to make a spraying rig- it's mounted on a little wooden trailer with an automotive oil pump and a belt drive. I also have the original pieces of the jackshaft and dog-clutch that the reel mower came with. I believe it's a 4-hp but it's lost any tag it may have once had. The shroud is repainted red and it's not rusty- but it has been outside and I can't tell you that it will run or even turn right now. It does have a carb on it, gas tank like the one shown in the early pics here, and it did run when it was last used years ago.

Its free in Connecticut if you want to come pick it up, to anyone from here. I do not want to scrap it.

--Rob

If you were closer to WI I'd love to have it :(
Love these old engines

I have to wait until I get the engine stuff figured out. Then I can get to the cranks. I'll probably just bend up a 1 piece to make it work.

Yesterday I go the jack shaft mount welded in and also started work on the seat stays. The bike sits where it was intended now and the engine sits level again. I'm using a road bike tube to measure the length of the belt I need. I paused to take a few pictures.

DSCI0074-6.jpg

DSCI0075-6.jpg

DSCI0076-5.jpg

Man that thing looks fantastic! Love the beefy front tire look too. It looks like an old circle-track racer.

I would think you can take a tape measure right around that belt path to get an accurate length now. I hope you are able to find a cool vintage looking belt.

As sort of an aside, we have an apple cider mill here, run by steam power - a 1-cyl steam engine turning 6" wide leather belts. It's pretty impressive and there's just nothing like that whuff-whuff sound of the engine and the belt slap... been in constant use since the 1880's.

Good luck with the whole project!
--Rob

I like this project more and more with every new pic you post.
That headlight is a hit, looks fantastic!!! I love it!!!
One concern though, how are you going to protect your legs from all those hot moving parts there? Sure it looks awesome, but please be careful! :wink:

I have fallen victim to the Chinese engine sucking my pant leg in at 30 mph.

If you look closely, there's a little threaded piece coming out of the engine near the front sprocket. I'm going to make a guard that bolts in there to cover the chain and the clutch. It will be covered up. I'm still a long way from having this thing ready for breakdown and paint.

I still need to get the pedal chain ran, the upper engine mount built, the gussets/bracing/dropouts built up, the leather seat made (from scratch), a different stem, supercharger, newer carb, exhaust, fender mounted, cables ran, led lights and details detail details!!!

I'm getting a trike freewheel adaptor machined out to 3/4" bore. On the opposite side of the jack shaft, I left enough room to add this piece. I'm gonna run double rings up front. One to the rear wheel, one to the jackshaft.

The supercharger will be later on. I'm waiting for a turbo compressor to show up.

You can see the jack shaft sticking out. That's were the freewheel will be mounted to pedal start it.

DSCI0079-2.jpg

it's amazing how this seemed to start out slow as a bike with an old engine sitting inside it and now it is getting so...so... in depth and awesome!

There are so many things to love about this build... I can't wait to see it finished. Hope it rides as good as it looks.

For local (to me) Ratrodders, I've got this here engine... it's free as it sits to anyone who wants to come get it.

I will be posting it in the Ads.

113010mower2.jpg

113010mower1.jpg

The crank isn't seized, but the piston doesn't seem to want to move- I haven't tried anything yet to free it. It may end up needing rings. I'd guess it's from 1947-52.

--Rob

cobrafreak said:
Supercharger! Wow, you are going to have a frakin motorCYCLE after you are done. Don't get any tickets :D
tehe if he does it right he wont get caught :mrgreen:

cobrafreak said:
Supercharger! Wow, you are going to have a frakin motorCYCLE after you are done. Don't get any tickets :D

Down the road. I have Turbo form an old Chevy Sprint, but I don't want to destroy it. It's suppose to go in my old Mini Cooper.

I'm waiting for a burnt up turbo from a Smart car so I can rob the compressor. We'll see. I have a lot of room in the frame I need to fill. I'm going to concentrate on getting it working first. But I want to have mounts ready for later on.

I really like how you filled in the space with the aluminum plates. I just can't seem to find a way to copy it on mine! :lol: Your's is by far one of the best motorbikes with the Chinese engines I have seen and really changed my opinion on them. Your bike will inspire a lot of people man!

EDIT- I ought to update.

I went to the local auto shop to find a belt. The nice parts guy order EIGHT belts for me to try out! After two trips I got the right onw installed. :mrgreen:

Had to leave town for a family emergency, but tomorrow I'm going to a friend of mines shop to braze and finish up the tank. He owns a frambuilding company called Peacock Groove. He builds some really beautiful bikes.

Can you have one sent to you? I guess I could send you one, but I don't do Paypal or anything like that.

This evening I got that tank TIG welded by a friend. It's much better than what I planned and should be sealed up good. I need to cut the last little piece and it will be done!

Also, I might have an apprenticeship now with the frame builder!

Latest posts

Back