The Canary Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
t time actually putting some effort into a 'build'.
I've read through and looked at some of yous guys post and man, you guys are good at what you do!! I've cleaned up some old raleighs, a 2000 schwinn hornet, and recently changed up a 'bratz' lowrider, which is nearly complete!! And now want others to see some work!!!
So enough about past stuff, this is my frame I'm working with

IMG_20190428_103121.jpg

I have no idea what it is, I was told it was a vintage schwinn (which it's not) so any ideas or help is/are muchly appreciated! I'm going old school, keeping it simple, new handlebar, stem, saddle, seat post, pedals, crank(possibly) all Bearings are being changed, striped and cleaned, clear coated, and put back together!!! I shall keep you updated. (if anyone reads this, or can actually see the photo, as I have no idea what I'm doing here! )

Last edited:
IMG_20190509_112520.jpg
As I've had the frame for a week or so already, I've cracked on,degreased,cleaned, (slightly) rubbed with wire wool, tcut, and clear coated.
And here's some lose ups of drop outs and serial number under bottom bracket.
IMG_20190509_112548.jpg
IMG_20190509_112532.jpg

Last edited:
The fork and the coaster brake slot among other clues point to a newer frame but I'm not sure what it is either.

What ever it is, you can't hardly go wrong with a classic cantilever style frame. Welcome to the forum and the build off!

The fork and the coaster brake slot among other clues point to a newer frame but I'm not sure what it is either.

Thanks man, this forum has a wealth of knowledge I didn't even know existed!!! Being in the UK there's not much of this 'scene' happening!

It was the kick stand plate that gave it away for me. And someone else mentioned it maybe a more modern frame, but like you said, it's a good solid frame to build on!!!

What ever it is, you can't hardly go wrong with a classic cantilever style frame. Welcome to the forum and the build off!

Okay so update

IMG_20190511_181319.jpg

Not alot has happened, but I'm now toying with the idea of using my old hornet as a donor.
IMG_20190511_181304.jpg

I'd take the saddle and wheels. To start, the spokes are red! I don't know if they'd look to grizzly against the yellow? Or would pop out in a good way?? It's also a nexus 3 speed, so I would attempt a suicide shifter?!?!? What's you guys opinion! As my wife don't care enough to give me one!!!

Thanks guys!

Okay so update

View attachment 95141
Not alot has happened, but I'm now toying with the idea of using my old hornet as a donor.
View attachment 95142
I'd take the saddle and wheels. To start, the spokes are red! I don't know if they'd look to grizzly against the yellow? Or would pop out in a good way?? It's also a nexus 3 speed, so I would attempt a suicide shifter?!?!? What's you guys opinion! As my wife don't care enough to give me one!!!

Thanks guys!

Yellow/black/red can work well. That's how the Heavy Duti looks best IMHO

DSC_1422.jpeg

Thanks guys!

I agree with @Captain Awesome that yellow and red are good together. Here's one I did many years ago...

SunKingSide.jpg

And as far as your shifter is concerned, yes! Here's a good 'how to' called "Cheap and easy shifter mount and stickshift conversion"...
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...hifter-mount-and-stickshift-conversion.66386/

Hope that helps.

Glen.

So, the 'donor' bike idea wouldn't work, nexus 3 speed hub was too wide for the frame, by about 14mm!
I've had that hornet listed on local pages for weeks but with no interest, but as luck has it, it sold that day, so I've had the cash to buy parts, just waiting now for everything to arrive and then installation will begin! I'm now riding a lowrider, which to be honest is a pain in my ...!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the new parts pile!

Latest posts

Back