The Capitalist.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to take this chance to join in on the build off, my first one at that. I've built/customized a few bikes, but this will be a first for me, using techniques I am not yet familiar with. I will keep this thread updated with pictures, notes, ideas and progress.

This is the bike I will be using as a starting point. It's a Nirve Chopper, used by Coca-Cola as a marketing tool in local supermarkets. It was won in a raffle by the guy I bought it from. It's got some normal wear, nothing major. As it sits it's got front disc brakes, rear coaster brake and shimano nexus 3speed. 24x3 in the rear, 26x2 in the front. Because of the Coca-Cola advertising on it, I have decided to call it The Capitalist. I won't disclose too many of my plans, it's just more fun that way. Anyway, here it is.

20170110_152609.jpg

20170130_102602.jpg

20170130_102546.jpg

Welcome to the build off! Nice starting point....now...RaT oN! :cool2:

Woke up late tonight itching to get started..

Took it all apart. So freaking dirty. I went thru 2 pairs of latex gloves and 3 rags just trying to keep my floor clean(ish).
20170131_014437.jpg

Well greased for a bike 10 years old and never serviced... It was all fast and easy, until I went for the arm of the coasterbrake.
20170131_013559.jpg

As you can see from this image I am lucky to be alive. I'm degreasing all the bearings etc. as I type this, but everything seems to be in order, so this is the only stock piece I will have to replace. Although many stock pieces will be discarded. I have decided to keep the seat. It's a lovely piece of work, worn and aged just the right amount. Now I'm gonna have some coffee and get to strippin'.

Last edited:
I've started stripping. ..... Christ. I'll tell ya, noone can talk .... about the quality of Nirve's paint jobs. Must be about 8 or 9 layers. I went over with a coarse-cleaner, a sort of wirebrush thing, spent 3 full batteries on my drill before i called it and found the paint stripper. Using a non-corrosive bio thing, so it's gonna take some time.

You stripped down a bike in the kitchen? You must be single. My wife would tell me I have some Nirve!
Badum tss! Yeah! Limited space and harsh winters. I store my bikes in my living room aswell:D

Im jealous. Id love one of these for a blank cavas. Gotta see your inrpretaton. Of all mass produced choppers, its my favorite.
Yeah I'm happy with it! Chopper bikes are pretty rare in my country, but there are a few of these nirce coca-cola ones. Mostly because of marketing in supermarkets. Other stores aswell. I'm not sure if it's a Norwegian thing, but it seems like atleast once a year there's some bike decked in commericals on display right in the center of the store. I guess some advertisement agency really loves that tactic..:p

So. I've spent the last two days stripping paint off this thing. I haven't been able to use the strong paintstripper stuff, cus I'm working without much ventilation, and it's about -5c outside. I've been using a coarse-cleaner wheel on a drill and some bio paint-stripper stuff. Gotta say, it's a heck of a job.. I've done 5-6 coats of the stripper, and atleast 15 runovers with the cleaner. There's still paint in the joints and crooks and whatnot. Decided to use some 80grit sandpaper by hand today, and that really sped up the process ALOT. Here's how it sits now, coated in a final layer of stripper to soften the remaining paint.
20170201_121733.jpg

I'll have to wait about a week before ordering some new parts. I've been spending way too much on bikes lately:p
Anyway, I'll probably finish the stripping by the end of the day (Dear God Please!), and figure out where to go next..

Last edited:
Yeah I'm happy with it! Chopper bikes are pretty rare in my country, but there are a few of these nirce coca-cola ones. Mostly because of marketing in supermarkets. Other stores aswell. I'm not sure if it's a Norwegian thing, but it seems like atleast once a year there's some bike decked in commericals on display right in the center of the store. I guess some advertisement agency really loves that tactic..:p
Ahhhh, I was suspicious of your name, fjernt. My boys and I spent 10 days in your wonderful country last June. Saw our ancestral home, 6th generation great-grandfather to my sons. Oslo to Bergen via the mountains and fjords of Telemark. Amazing!

Finally finished stripping the frame. Ended up using sandpaper and a electric sander for the last bit. Next time I'm using full strength stripper or getting it sandblasted. This was not a pleasant experience :p I lightly sprayed some brown oxide primer in the spots where I could not get the whit paint off.

For the finish, I am using a trick I heard from one of my favorite builders. It involves adding multiple layers of coffeemaker descaler to get a weathered, almost rusty look. For this to work well the frame should really be sandblasted, and I couldn't really get the kind he recommended, so I will just have to try with what I got, and see how it turns out. If I don't like it I will either antique or rust the frame until I'm happy. Here's a pic after adding the first layer of descaler.
20170202_101633.jpg

I'll be experimenting with the descaler all day, so I'll keep this updated as it progresses.

So.. The descaler thing didn't really work out. I probably got the wrong kind, as all it did was make the frame shiny and sticky. This ofcourse has it's place, but it wasnt what I was going for this time. I washed it off, degreased, and while preparing to rust it I decided to spray abit of black in the joints, then sand it off. Thinking this would make the rust look better. Anyway, one thing led to another, and before I knew it I'd painted the frame using brown primer and matte black.
20170204_180150.jpg

I got so caught up while painting. My head is really swimming right now from the fumes. there is not much ventilation in my shop, so I normally do a quick coat and leave for an hour until it clears out. This took more finesse, since I only lightly misted the frame over and over to get the desired effect. I will buy a proper respirator on monday, before I melt my brain completely:p I think I will sand it abit aswell, using something like 140 grit, but I think it turned out pretty well.

Those are cool frames , boy it would have been nice to have it sand blasted . I guess I'm lucky I have a friend who works at a sandblasting & powder coat shop . I've used his service more than once . Keep it going and welcome to the winter build off . [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are cool frames , boy it would have been nice to have it sand blasted . I guess I'm lucky I have a friend who works at a sandblasting & powder coat shop . I've used his service more than once . Keep it going and welcome to the winter build off . [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aye. I wish I had access to it, but for now I gotta make due!:)

I like the result! Most of us are high on rat rod building, but it sounds like you almost were literally 'high'....:21:

Next time you need to strip paint get a wire cup brush on an angle grinder, they are awesome, just make sure you wear thick clothes and a face mask, because they throw wires at high speed as they wear down.

Latest posts

Back